Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do all Stanley planes have the name Stanley or Bailey on them?

Question Do all Stanley planes have the name Stanley or Bailey on them?

Do all Stanley planes have the name Stanley or Bailey on them?

The #1's do not have either ID on them. I'm not sure about the others but all of mine do (I am assuming you mean the body of the plane).

There is a lot of info on Bailey and Bed Rock models (Type studies). These will tell you the markings on the bed, lever cap, lateral lever, etc. None of the Bailey or Bed Rock planes were marked Stanley on the bed.

No. Stanley also made "Handyman," "Defiance" (my examples of these don't say "Stanley" anywhere), "Four Square," etc. Many of these, although interesting for collectors, are Not Desirable Users. For instance, I've somehow acquired two Defiance planes, both of which have irons (cutting irons/blades) that are noticeably thinner than the Bailey planes in my kit. Thicker than tissue paper, but not necessarily by much. I've never used them, but I would expect them to imitate a squirrel in a mood if I used them on anything more challenging than balsa wood.

So I ha ve a plane labeled "no 5" in front of the knob. The lever cap has a Stanley sweetheart logo on the back (no lettering) just the outline. No frog adjustment screw. This frog as described on blood and gore: "design is simply a broad and flat rectangular area that is machined on the bottom casting. This machined area is rather low, and has two holes that receive the screws which are used to secure the frog in place". On the heal are five dimple in the shape as a 5 die would be. Under the tote in the rescessed part of the raised bed as a number "3". Ther is no lettering anywhere else that I can find. Not on the frog, or the adjustment le ver, or the depth adjustment wheel.

It is also corrugated.

So my question, Stanley, or not?? How old??
    Last edited by Matthew Curtis; 05-19-2012 at 9:02 PM. Reason: added info

"a squirrel in a mood"

LOL, Bill, the *imagery*!!
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Really need a photo or two to answer your question. Clould be a Bailey Type 6 or so. What shape is the lateral lever?

the lateral le ver has a twist to it.

Bailey???
    What is the difference between Bailey and Stanley? Thought they were the same...

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Curtis View Post
    the lateral le ver has a twist to it.
    Once the Bailey and Stanley patents expired, there were a lot of manufacturers turning out Bailey-style planes. Four of the big ones were Stanley, Sargent, Union, and Millers Falls. Each used a slightly different end on the lateral lever, and Walt Quadrato of Brass City Records and Tools has been kind enough to post a picture, which you can find here: http://www.brasscityrecords.com/tool...lane%20id.html. However, there may well have been other makers, and I've seen planes that I would swear were made by one of the manufacturers listed that had a different type of lateral adjuster lever.

"Bailey" was, traditionally, Stanley's method of signaling that the plane was (almost) the top of the line. The very top was the Bedrock series, but these are built differently and, after the first series, shaped differently.

On some levels, it kind of doesn't matter. If the plane's a good one, any maker's plane will make curls.

Blog Entries
    the lateral lever has a twist to it.
    That could be either a Union plane or a or Ohio tool also used the lever with a twist.

The Bailey name did not appear on the base of the Stanley planes until 1902. It did appear inside the brass adjuster before the 1890s.

The lateral lever on a Stanley plane is distinct and should have the name Stanley stamped into it.

On some of the Union planes the disk on the lateral adjuster is above the rivet. I do not know how Ohio tools made their lateral adjuster set up.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

IMG_0903.jpg
    As you can see ther is a number 3 with a circular marking in the tote reciever, with afive dimple pattern behind the reciever

IMG_0904.jpg
    The frog reciever looks just like the pic on the bood and gore page of the second major design

IMG_0905.jpg
    no name, but No 5 in front of the knob
    IMG_0906.jpg
    corrigated bottom
    IMG_0907.jpg
    twisted adjustment lever,no nome or markings
    IMG_0908.jpg
    IMG_0913.jpg
    a sweet heart logo on the back of the le vercap but no lettering on it

So what is it??
    Last edited by Matthew Curtis; 05-20-2012 at 8:22 AM. Reason: more info

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Curtis View Post
    So what is it??
    I think you may have what is politely known as a frankenplane - a plane assembled from several different makers' parts. Nothing inherently wrong with this for a plane you'll be using (as opposed to collecting), as long as the various parts play well together. I've got a Stanley Bailey 5-1/4, picked up as just a body with knob and tote, on which I've put a lever cap from another maker (no idea what maker) and scrounged Stanley but not necessarily type-correct cutting iron/cap iron. Works just fine.

I'll have to look at my Sweetheart era planes to see if the lever cap's got the logo hidden on the back; never paid attention.
    Last edited by Bill Houghton; 05-20-2012 at 1:16 PM.

Blog Entries
    Stanley bought Union Plane Company in 1920. Yours could be one from that era or as Bill said, it could be a Frankenplane.

If it works well, it doesn't matter.

As far as collectors go, I think some would pay a premium for the lever cap.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I have both aDefiance #3 and a Handyman 1204. Use them all the time as smoothers.. Defiance does have a TAPERED iron, at least mine does. The handyman is just a run of the mill type iron, but, I can get paper thin shavings in Beech. Didn't like the Handyman handles, so I made new ones, from walnut stained hardwood. The defiance #3 has new handles as well.....out of black walnut. As I said, both ARE users....