Thread: Help me find this part for my Delta 460 lathe

Help me find this part for my Delta 460 lathe

Hello,

The bolt/screw and spring that goes to my tool rest hieght adjustment handle came loose and got sucked up in the shavings. Went to the Delta web site and you have to order the handle assembly to get just the screw and spring. Anyone know where I can get this screw and spring. I took a photo of the assembly from my tail stock handle.

Thanks Jack.

IMG_2923.jpgIMG_2925.jpg
    U.S.A.F. Ret. MSgt 2006

McMaster Carr has a full selection of handles....Fastenal may have a screw similar but maybe not exact. Ace hardware has a pretty full selection of springs. You'll have to know the thread pitch and size, in any case. Springs are listed by wire size OD and length. My choice would be a full replacement from McM and a little dab of blue loctite on the end of the screw.
    Last edited by mickey cassiba; 05-19-2012 at 6:37 PM.
    Mick

I can tell you exactly where to find one. Right there in your dust collector bin or your shop vac tank or whatever you "sucked it up" with.. Get out some screen a get to it. You know you need to clean it out anyway...
    David DeCristoforo

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    I can tell you exactly where to find one. Right there in your dust collector bin or your shop vac tank or whatever you "sucked it up" with.. Get out some screen a get to it. You know you need to clean it out anyway...

Thanks, but unfortunately I did not realise the missing parts until about a week after I cleaned up and had already put the shavings out to the curb.
    U.S.A.F. Ret. MSgt 2006

"...already put the shavings out to the curb"

DOH!!! Another "smacks self in head" moment!
    David DeCristoforo

Jack....locally I have an Ace Hardware that I can generally find something like that. When I bought a slow speed grinder one of the grinding wheels wobbled. It turned out that a left-handed nut was defective and it's threaded hole wasn't perpendicular to it's face. I found that left-handed nut at my local Ace Hardware.

I know they have a general selection of compression springs.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Gues I can take it by Ace Hardware tomorrow and see if they have anything. As for McCarr Master site I wouldnt know where to look. Dont really know what this little bolt is called. And the spring is larger in diamiter on one end so that is seats against the resess inside.
    U.S.A.F. Ret. MSgt 2006

Jack....it's called a shoulder screw at McMasters-Carr. Do you know the thread detail and the length of the bolt?

Start here: http://www.mcmaster.com/#shoulder-screws/=hlwnhx
    Ken

Here's their version of the spring you need: http://www.mcmaster.com/#compression-springs/=hlwpd1
    Ken

Outstanding, Thanks Ken.
    U.S.A.F. Ret. MSgt 2006

Take the screw ya got to a machine shop they"ll probably cut you one for a couple of bucks.