Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Norfolk Island Pine

Nice work Bernie! I like both of these forms and you did a good job on centering the knots!

1/8" thin on the second form - should be fairly translucent. Have you noticed any light coming through the walls of the form?
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Thanks Steve. Yes light does come thru it but not as bright as some I have seen.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Bernie - love your work and you inspired me so I bought a piece of NIP and hope to turn it next weekend.

Thanks Greg. I hope you love turning it as much as I do.
    Bernie

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Norfolk Island Pine is turned a lot in Hawaii, and usually to a translucent state. It is turned fairly thin green, but also the finish is a soak in a oil/varnish/thinner mix that changes the cell structure of the wood. The final finish that I see there is not a real high sheen, but the warm oil glow. Kelly Dunn has an excellent website showing his signature pieces. NIP is exceptional and I am starting to see it available here on mainland. I bought a couple of pieces of dead NIP at SWAT a couple of years ago that came from the Texas valley area that finished with a warm oil finish but had no chance of going translucent.

Nice job Bernie! Both pieces look great and nice wood too!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Nice work Bernie. If I ever make it to Hawaii it will be on my souvenir list! I suppose just ordering some would be cheaper though.

Thanks again.

Thomas this is soaked in Antique Oil. For some reason it just keep it from warping much if any and rarely if ever cracks.

Baxter I told my wife the same thing. She just rolled her eyes and said it is cheaper to just order it.
    Bernie