Thread: Finishing a Mahogany Butcher Block Countertop

Finishing a Mahogany Butcher Block Countertop

I need some advice on the best finishing protocol for a Honduran Mahogany butcher block countertop.

This top was salvaged from the workbench in my Dad's saw sharpening shop and I'm using it for as a desk for my Mom. (Yes, it's been stripped and sanded.)

It wasn't quite long enough so I've added Hard Maple breadboard ends which I'm planning on leaving natural for a two tone look. They are aligned with loose tenons but I haven't glued them in place yet.

I'm planning on spraying General Finishes High Performance High Performance Top Coat (Satin) with Enduro Crosslinker added to increase the durability.

I haven't finished Mahogany before so I would appreciate any advice you might offer before I get started next week.

Sealer, stain, grain filler?
    Last edited by Joe Adams; 05-18-2012 at 3:29 PM.

Water-borne finishes tend to give darker woods a blah look. OK Sheldon you can jump in with all the RI stuff.

Generally I would recomment a dewaxed garnet shellac over the mahogany to seal it (because if it was in a shapening shop it got all kinds of oil on it and a water-borne may have a problem. Shellac will provide a barrier coat and a nice color shift to compensate for the blah water-borne look. Shellac is color fast and will not yellow with time.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Scott,

Thanks for the advice on the shellac.

It was pretty well sealed before going into the sharpening shop having been a bar top in a restaurant before that. I sanded it all the way down to bare wood so hopefully there is no residual oil to cause problems.

Do I need to worry about filling the grain so the open pores don't leave pin holes in my finish?

By the way, this butcher block is edge grain (laminated 1-inch strips running horizontally) rather than end grain.

Sanding generally is a poor way to remove old finish, unless you remove a lot of wood, as when you sand floors with a floor sander. I suspected it was edge grain as mahogany would not make a very good end grain cutting board, nor edge grain cutting board either... mahogany is ring porus and defuse porus (maple, cherry, birch) "harder" woods are better for cutting boards.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.