Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Shop lighting......

I have been searching for LED fixtures for my basement shop. My old fluorescent fixtures are junk and need replaced. I would like to buy a complete LED fixture ready to hard wire to replace my old fixtures. Does anyone know of a good 2 or 4 bulb 4' complete LED fixture with cover that is worth the money and available ?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Burke View Post
    I have been searching for LED fixtures for my basement shop. My old fluorescent fixtures are junk and need replaced. I would like to buy a complete LED fixture ready to hard wire to replace my old fixtures. Does anyone know of a good 2 or 4 bulb 4' complete LED fixture with cover that is worth the money and available ?
    Thanks
    Feit Electric from Costco...especially when they are on sale.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Mike's question, particularly about fixtures with a cover, caused me to wonder if lumen ratings stated in advertisements and fixture packaging reflect light lost due to shape of fixture, covers, etc (delivered lumens) vs the actual light produced (total lumens). I suspect total lumens is what is on the packaging so you may want to keep that in mind as you shop.

Anyone know?
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I missed the covers part...I wouldn't want them, but I can appreciate that some do in low spaces. Fortunately, the LED units are a lot less susceptible to damage if they get whacked than a fluorescent tube is...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My shop is in my basement. I have 7’ ceilings so I don’t want them glaring in my eyes so I would like covers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Burke View Post
    Thanks
    Not seeing your resolution to this so I thought I'd add my two cents. I like to look at the lumens per watt used. I am seeing lots of inexpensive LED fixtures in the last 4 months or so, priced at $10 to $20 for a four foot shop light. I even bought two (typical shop light with chains) at Wally for $10 each just to have something ready to hang in case I needed it. The cheap LED fixtures use almost as many watts to produce similar lumen output. That gives me NO IMMEDIATE incentive to change out all the fluorescent fixtures. Until the light diminishes noticeably, or until the fixture need new ballsts or bulbs, I'm not spending the money. I built my shop about six years ago and rely heavily on T-8 fluorescent fixtures. I rebuilt some four-bulb troffers using new ballasts and new bulbs and painted the reflector with a chrome paint. I did not use the diffusers. I like the 4100K color bulbs and they are still putting out a lots of light. I do not spend a great amount of time out there so six years does not really mean that much. I doubt the lights are on 20 hours in a week. I used dual duplex outlets (4 outlets) where all light fixtures can simply be unplugged. They are switched into four general zones, so I can light the part of the shop I am using or any and all of it. I also have four different zones of track lighting for task lighting over benches. All reflector bulbs are now LED since I found a clearance sale on those 65W equivalent bulbs. The shop is 800 sq ft and I do not mind walking the perimeter to turn the lights on/off. It takes about 30 seconds. Basically, you want as many lumens for your dollar as possible so look at wattage required to give you, for example, 5000 lumens (common) from a two row fixture (two rows of LEDs). Reputable manufacturers are favorable since they might make good on a rare bad fixture.