Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wood for a wooden screen door

Wood for a wooden screen door

Went to put a wooden screen door on the door going out into the garage. The ones available from the Borg are a joke, so I decided to build one. Problem is, I don't have access to any vertical grain fir. That's what all the old ones I see are made from. Any suggestions on what wood to use? The door will be protected from weather, but subject to high heat/freeze. Thanks!

Will it be painted or clear? I just finished a reproduction of a late 1800's screen door that will be painted and live on a completely covered porch. I used popular. If it was exposed cyprus might be a good choice, albeit an expensive choice! As a bonus cyprus smells great when cut!

Jeff, it will be stained & varnished. I've got some soft maple on hand I could use, but I didn't think it would be tough enough. Does your door have a closer on it, or just a spring, like so many had?

I just installed two from the blue borg. Used spring hinges. No way would I build 'em for what I paid.
    Just my view.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

I actually don't know what type of closure this client wants.....I'd imagine a spring would be the best choice. Have you thought about using quarter sawn white oak?? It would be stable, strong, and very easy on the eyes! I think soft maple would be strong enough for a screen door; soft maple is harder than poplar! Whatever wood you use I hope you have as much fun as I did.....seems like some projects are so much more fun than others. Here's a pic:screen door.JPG

Made a 4 doors last summer with South American Cedar, aka Spanish cedar. No special regards to 1/4 sawn though I did carefully select my stock. This cedar is quite rot resistant and looks beautiful with a clear coat but paints nicely as well. 2 of these were painted with marine paint (Easypoxy by Petit) and the other 2 were finished with only a marine oil finish. I also sealed the end grain of the stiles (top and bottom) with a few thin coats of epoxy.

The finished thickness was 1 3/16". Here are a few photos of the 2 styles. -

Attachment 232178 P5221342.jpg
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

4 years ago I built a screen for one of the garage/shop windows.
    Made it out of cherry. Still good, and I didn't put any finish on it.
    Although the screen never moves on hinges, the wood is stable.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Bill White View Post
    I just installed two from the blue borg. Used spring hinges. No way would I build 'em for what I paid.
    Just my view.
    Bill
    Not sure what you paid Bill, but the ones I found were finger jointed white pine with no way to remove the screen for finishing. $29 I couldn't get excited about 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bartley View Post
    I actually don't know what type of closure this client wants.....I'd imagine a spring would be the best choice. Have you thought about using quarter sawn white oak?? It would be stable, strong, and very easy on the eyes! I think soft maple would be strong enough for a screen door; soft maple is harder than poplar! Whatever wood you use I hope you have as much fun as I did.....seems like some projects are so much more fun than others. Here's a pic:screen door.JPG
    Nice Jeff! I was actually thinking White oak, but thought it to be overkill, and I was worried about warping. I agree...fun project!

I just helped my brother build one with QS white oak. He has a place on the Gulf Coast for twelve years and has gone through 7-8 screen doors. His screened porch faces south and has little in the way of a protective overhang. That door gets it all, sun, spray, wind, dogs, and ten year old boys. I made it from 6/4 material, and used draw-bored, wedged thru tenons, which might have been overkill, but that thing is solid. I encouraged him to paint it, but the oak looks so good his wife wants him to put on a clear Spar varnish.

Bad news: it is very heavy and will be a bear to hang, but that is his problem.

Nice Sam. No spanish cedar around here though. Plenty of d grade western red though. I wonder how the two compare?

I have used Spanish cedar, which works great. Also if you are looking for vertical grain doug fir, call some lumber yards and ask for VGF "stepping". I use it for stair treads, it comes 1 X 12" with a bullnose edge but is very nice stuff, not cheap. I pay $10.00 a foot. The point is, sometimes, if you ask for vertical grain fir they say no and don't realize they have stepping in stock.
    Richard

In the process of starting one myself and am using pine 2 X 4's. My door will be oversize about 43" wide. I'll be using 4 spring hinges because of the weight. I will finish with marine spar varnish.

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Quote Originally Posted by joe milana View Post
    Nice Sam. No spanish cedar around here though. Plenty of d grade western red though. I wonder how the two compare?
    I'm not sure what D grade is but I would generally not hesitate to use western red cedar. A good rot resistant and lightweight wood. The lightweight is a bonus for screen doors in my opinion.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Joe I can get it at Liberty Hardwood north KC or Paxtons
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

Is clear White Pine available in your area? I've made a number of screens and storm windows with it. Always painted them, but there's no reason your choice of finish wouldn't work.