Thread: Carroll Shelby Passes

Carroll Shelby Passes

I know we have a few muscle car/gear heads here, sad news but Carroll Shelby passed away yesterday at the age of 89 in Baylor Hospital, Dallas TX. There will never be another like this man, a true motorsports legend, you would need big feet to fill his shoes.

Heather
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.

Heather....I doubt they will ever be filled.....and I was a Chevy man/boy in the 60's but you have to respect dominating competition!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

The man was a true pioneer in the automotive world.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

My brother and I [admitted gearheads] were just talking last week what a fantastic life the man had from an automotive point of view.

Everyone gets their turn at the wheel, and his was better than most. I am not sad.

Larry

The last time I saw him on a TV on the Barrett-Jackson auctions a few years back he was looking really good for a man in his mid 80s.

I was talking to a guy last week who friend sent a Mustang out to Shelby to have it turned into a Snake??? ( I think that's what he said, I'm not up on car models) Anyway......... They called and told him it was done and shipping it back to him. Also said that Carroll Shelby autographed the steering wheel cover on it two weeks before he passed.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    I was talking to a guy last week who friend sent a Mustang out to Shelby to have it turned into a Snake??? ( I think that's what he said, I'm not up on car models) Anyway......... They called and told him it was done and shipping it back to him. Also said that Carroll Shelby autographed the steering wheel cover on it two weeks before he passed.

If this is true, never touch the steering wheel, it is worth Millions, just sent a battery to a biker who is dieing of cancer, he is also a great man and put his knee down on the pavement.

Heather
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    I wish I had a dollar for every glove box lid he every signed. I got him to sign the GT350H I owned glove box lid. It was signed with a gold paint pen to match the old gold stripes on the car. On the older Shelby's that was THE part to get signed. It was easy to remove and haul with you for the signature. I didn't used to make any difference in the price of the older Shelbys since they are rare in and of themselves and so many were "signed". I wonder if it will start to add a little extra to those since his death.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Gotta say it "Carroll Shelby Passes".. Pretty appropriate wording considering.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

He had a position with this project: http://www.ox2engine.com/ but he may have been a mere figurehead.