Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Urn in Spalted Sweetgum...

Urn in Spalted Sweetgum...

...with a silver maple burl top. This is for Quazy, my sisters much loved and rather large dog. Roughly 10" tall by 7.5" wide. Finished with several coats of Waterlox. ABS threads. I really don't like the transition between the reddish colored sweetgum and the burl cap. I tried a little black transtint on the neck of the vessel and some red on the burl cap, but it didn't work out as well as I would have liked. Maybe a holly or black wood spacer would have helped. Next time. Thanks for looking. C&C welcome.

DSC_2920C.jpgDSC_2924_C.jpgDSC_2936C.jpgDSC_2954C.jpg
    Last edited by Ted Calver; 05-09-2012 at 11:19 PM. Reason: add C&C welcome

Wonderful!!!
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf

3. Very nice, Ted! A most unusual piece of wood ..........gotta love the way you got the sap wood and the heartwood to show up in contrast...........a fitting memorial for a beloved dog.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Can't C&C since none was requested per forum regulations. Nice work over all Tim. Size is impressive! What was the wall thickness? Dog's are cool and deserve the best...He sure got it!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

That turned out real nice! I like the burl cap - works for me!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I really like the wood and form ,I don't know about the cap.I have gotten into urns and am curious about figuring the volume.What did you come up with?
    Half way between the north pole and the equator!
    Half way between Steve Schlumpf and John Keeton!

That's a really nice piece. And, I really love the neck and top! That will be a memorable piece all by itself, but now with it's intended purpose, it will be incredibly special!

What's not to like? The form and wood are beautiful. I have a question about ABS threads. Are they just the threaded ends cut from ABS pipe? Great job. Great finish

The urn is just to good looking for the cap in MHO. I feel the cap subtracts from a wonderfully turned piece.

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

I think it looks nice! Great job!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

That is a beauty Ted.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Spectacular! I love the burl cap!
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

I agree..picture 4 shows a terrific vessel..the colors are wonderful. That cap may fit real well on something down the road..save it!
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Ted, very unique concept and I think it worked! Nice job on the urn, and the rustic top seems to compliment the coloration of the gum. Perhaps one could airbrush a black fade starting on the neck and carried all the way to the natural edge of the burl. The very top of the burl seems to work OK. You could probably still do that by using black tinted dewaxed shellac, followed by another couple coats of Waterlox should you want to go to that effort.

Nice piece! Great form, great wood, great cap. I agree about the transition to the cap, the cap is very nice and the form is very nice (like again in pic 4) both are better apart from each other.
    Deane
    Originality is the art of concealing your source.
    Franklin P. Jones
    Comments & criticism on postings welcomed.