Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Laser

1. This might be a bad sign: if you google Hurricane Lasers it still brings up the link to their website, but when you click the link takes you to Full Spectrum Lasers home page. All the other links that come up on Google are dead-- support, etc just give a HTTP 404 error. I don't know enough about it to say for sure but it seems possible this company is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Lambert View Post
    This might be a bad sign: if you google Hurricane Lasers it still brings up the link to their website, but when you click the link takes you to Full Spectrum Lasers home page. All the other links that come up on Google are dead-- support, etc just give a HTTP 404 error. I don't know enough about it to say for sure but it seems possible this company is gone.
    Most likely had to give their business to FSL because of the suit.

FSL won't get the millions, but it was plenty obvious they were going to put Hurricane out of business.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

It doesn't look good. Their domain name registration was changed on Feb. 12, 2014 to a company that specializes in transferring and handling bankruptcies and legal judgements.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

OK this is getting complicated

from Hurricanes facebook page

Ross Buffingtonwondering the same thing....got and email from John saying Hurricane is now World Laser but that's a website out of PA. Hurricane still in business?
    World Lasers Is run by a guy called Greg Rawley

Greg is also the MD at Bell Laser LLC

It's getting way too complicated to bother looking further.......

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

Not trying to beat a dead horse about this, but I happen to know someone who just bought a Hurricane machine and is still waiting on a couple of parts (spare tube and rotary attachment). They may have some problems getting service and support from Hurricane, and I thought other people here might run into the same issues if they need to contact Hurricane. I did find that Hurricane's service and support webpage is still operating so if anyone needs to contact them they may still have some luck: it's now located at http://world-lasers.com/service-support and it seems that the various links from there are still active even though their home page links to World Lasers in Pennsylvania. All in all I would not be terribly confident if I were an owner of one of their machines but there may still be some resources for Hurricane owners.

Blog Entries
    'Twere it MY equipment on the line, the big question to me is are the two companies mentioned one and the same? I'm getting the impression from info listed here the answer is 'no'...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Don,

Thank you for the feedback. Yes people can import directly. I can reference a dozen or so that have and we have had to sell them parts etc after months of work to get a laser to run. We do include US optics from Meller and a 2 year warranty that covers everything including the tube. We have outstanding service and support. All of these things cost money. It amazes me how everyone says buy direct and save. While that is true about lasers it is also true about almost any other item you purchase. If support, warranty etc are not important than by all means go direct.

Tim we would be happy to help you out and provide many references from 400+ happy customers.

Thank you.

John

Isn't Hurricane Laser no longer in Business ?????
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Just got back from a wedding in Vegas yesterday. Last Friday (2-21-2014) I stopped by Hurricane Laser's showroom in Vegas and they are still in business and I recognized all the same employees there that have been there for a while. Even said hi to John who was there. And even though I still can't remember the guys name, I got another half hour of free lessons (or included in my original purchase price lessons) on use of the software. Now that I'm more familiar with the laser and the software these continued lessons (a year after my original purchase) are very helpful because I can retain the information much better.

I'm still very comfortable doing business with Hurricane Lasers and it's very good to see that their long time employees aren't bailing out on them. Normally if it's thought the company is going under the long time employees start heading for other jobs, but they appear confident in what they are doing and appear to be staying. Let me add a little info about me if it will make people more comfortable. I run a small wood and laser shop and it's my retirement job to keep me busy. I retired in 2011 after a 28 year career in law enforcement. The last 17 years of that career was spent as a Criminal Investigator in a prosecutors office where I worked mostly white collar crimes and political corruption type cases. I was also cross-designated as a Special Deputy United States Marshal and worked on an FBI White Collar Crime Task Force. The reason I put this info on here is because I'd be the first person to run from a crooked company. I have researched Hurricane Lasers and read about the disputes they have had. I will admit they give me a little bit of concern, but I also know good an well that disputes arise in business and people get accused of things they did not do. Is that what happened to Hurricane? I can't say for sure obviously, but I see a lot of the signs that this is a business dispute versus any type of fraud.

When I first started looking to buy a laser one of the companies I looked at was the one Hurricane is having this dispute with. I found a lot of negative info about them from their customers so I skipped on them. Hurricane didn't have that same negative info so I ended up buying from Hurricane. I knew that Hurricane was started by people who used for work for the other company. So I can't personally vouch for John or for Hurricane, but I can tell you my background and experience has been in dealing with these types of issues in a criminal setting, and if I wanted to buy another laser tomorrow, I'd have no problem buying from Hurricane Laser. I guess everybody else is going to have to decide for themselves if that is the right choice for them or not.

Also, apparently as part of the lawsuit, Hurricane did lose their web domain name but not their business. So if you go to their old web address it does direct you to the other company. John sent out an email to all their customers last week explaining this. Do weird things happen like this in Courts? Yes, they do. I had a friend who got a divorce and he ran a concrete business. He was ordered to give his ex-wife all of his concrete tools in the divorce settlement and was also ordered to pay alimony. He tried explaining to the judge that he needed his tools to work to earn money to pay the alimony but the judge didn't care. So yes, Judges do make weird decisions in court.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Mark Smith
    Tracy, CA
    Mark's Custom Woodcrafts
    Legacy Artie 58 CNC
    Hurricane Ivan 60 Watt Laser

This is weird... I went to Hurricanes web site to see what model was being talked about and it takes you directly to Full Spectrum Website...
    Shenhui G460 80W RECI
    LIAOCHENG RAY FINE RF-6040-90W RECI
    Corel X5 Technical Suite, Windows 7

As part of the lawsuit settlement they had to give up their domain name. You can go to www.hurricanelasers.net and that takes you to their new website location.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Mark Smith
    Tracy, CA
    Mark's Custom Woodcrafts
    Legacy Artie 58 CNC
    Hurricane Ivan 60 Watt Laser

Sadly much of the info in the "About glass tubes" is inaccurate

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sheldrake View Post
    Sadly much of the info in the "About glass tubes" is inaccurate

cheers

Dave
    Like this one....

"Air cooled tubes are reliant on ambient temperature and cannot be run for long periods of time. "

Okay, all you GCC, Epilog, Trotec, and Universal owners,, you need to make sure you don't run your machines for long periods of time
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I doubt I will ever have an issue with running my laser for long periods as the Trotec runs so fast I cannot schedule enough work to keep it busy for more than 12 - 15 hours a day.

I do however take some time off to run the router as well (usually Saturday and Sunday).
    Last edited by Guy Hilliard; 02-25-2014 at 7:14 PM.
    Guy Hilliard

Sawdust and Noise

Trotec Speedy 400 w 80W, rotary attachment, vacuum table, cutting table, lamella bars

AXYZ 4008 w 7 position ATC, Servos, Vacuum, pins, laser digitizer

CorelDRAW X6,
    Rhino 5,
    Aspire

Seems to be a miss-understanding about how the resonators are excited, RF, Radio Frequency at between 24 and 60 volts is a lot different to a plasma at 25,000- 40,000 volts @ around 10% efficiency. DC tubes have an upper limit on the amount of power they can produce before runaway, RF units aren't affected by the same conditions.

RF resonators do indeed produce an odd shaped beam BUT they are usually circularly polarised at the partial reflector unlike the linear polarisation of a DC tube, ergo DC tubes will cut better and with a tighter kerf inline with the polar planes whereas RF tubes cut equally in all directions.

Cost considerations aside RF excited resonators are indeed more efficient and produce a far higher quality beam profile over DC units.

To suggest nominally available DC glass tubes are superior is just plain wrong on so many technical levels.

cheers

Dave
    You did what !