Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Laser

David, you addressed this to me, but I've already bought a Hurricane laser and have been using it for a year now. I'm happy with it.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Mark Smith
    Tracy, CA
    Mark's Custom Woodcrafts
    Legacy Artie 58 CNC
    Hurricane Ivan 60 Watt Laser

Yup. Lasers aren't the only thing coming from China and everything has a markup probably in excess of 100% for most everything.
    Mark Smith
    Tracy, CA
    Mark's Custom Woodcrafts
    Legacy Artie 58 CNC

I'll agree that the pictures look the same, but that doesn't mean they are the same machine. Even in the photo you can tell the controls are different.
    Mark Smith
    Tracy, CA
    Mark's Custom Woodcrafts
    Legacy Artie 58 CNC

Blog Entries
    Sorry Mark Smith61! I thought I had the flow of the thread firmly in hand! So much for that!

Glad you like the Hurricane!

Whoever I thought I was talking to.....the ideas are the same! I say sheepishly! <grin>

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

We routinely sell products at markups of 100%. If you are in business, you should get the largest markup that you can. Why would anyone sell something for $5000 that they could sell for $10000?
    Pete James
    Awardmasters
    40W G Weike

there was no shipping because I picked it up the there is no customs for me as they were paid for when it reached the USA. It does didn't have the CV5000 chiller but that was a $500 add on. the add on legs came with mine no charge. along with the 60watt tube.

It's called "Support". Who do you think pays for the guy on the other end of the phone when you call a couple times a year to ask for help? The reason the mainstream machines are expensive is because they have higher quality parts, higher quality drivers, and they offer support for the life of the machine. That's got to be paid for somewhere. The importers that are giving support in the USA are doing the exact same thing. They are taking parts they believe to be inferior and replacing them, then they are offering installation help, and phone support.

It's not rocket science. Support has to be paid for somewhere, by someone. Sounds like some of the importers are just trying to give a better business model and giving a tier of support that wasn't previously there, or isn't there at all in many cases. Charging more for that service isn't gouging people, it's paying for their staff to help you.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

You picked it up in China? Or was shipping cost built in?
    Mark Smith
    Tracy, CA
    Mark's Custom Woodcrafts
    Legacy Artie 58 CNC

This is not an advertisement as I know they are banned on Sawmill but rather a clarification for the value of all in the laser community. First, thank you to Mark and the many other happy Hurricane Laser customers for their support. We work very hard to provide the best quality and support in the community. There are also many other great companies out there such as Rabbit Laser, Epilog, Universal, Trotec on and on. It is this competition that is helping the entire industry to improve quality and lower costs. Free markets working the way they should.

As mentioned and admitted I did work for FSL prior to starting Hurricane Lasers. Let's just say that Henry and I had differing opinions on business practices. I did not have an non compete. I also did not have hundreds of thousands of dollars to keep fighting a frivolous lawsuit so our attorneys withdrew and therefore he won the suit. As mentioned by other viewers winning suit and collecting are two different things. Hurricane is in business and will continue to be. Perhaps I will have to pay a portion of what we make to the extent the law requires. But losing a lawsuit does not mean you have to shut your business. If it did there wouldn't be a business left in this country.

As for being what I call a Chinese box mover. We are not. We provide optics from Meller Optics here in the States vs Chinese Optics. This promotes less variance in the cuts and engraving and a longer life. We also are proud of our 2 year full warranty that covers everything including the tube.Thank you and Happy New Year!

John
    Last edited by Mike Null; 01-07-2014 at 5:41 AM.

John

I have edited your remarks to remove what I perceived as advertising language.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Fair play for letting John defend himself, his customers seem happy and the mark-up is neither hear nor there if you need the services and experience he offers, if you want to go-it-alone pay someone in China and hope you can sort it out yourself. I paid £3.85 ($6.16) for a coffee yesterday, wonder what the markup is on that Starbucks.
    L Squared Lasers UK
    2 x Halo Lasers 20 watt fiber
    1 x Halo CO2 Galvo System
    1 x Shenhui 1512 80 watt
    3 x Electrox D40
    3 x electrox Scriba 2
    1 x Electrox Scorpion 40 watt Fibre
    1 x Epilog EXT36 75 watt.

Hurricane Laser

Quote Originally Posted by matthew knott View Post
    Fair play for letting John defend himself, his customers seem happy and the mark-up is neither hear nor there if you need the services and experience he offers, if you want to go-it-alone pay someone in China and hope you can sort it out yourself. I paid £3.85 ($6.16) for a coffee yesterday, wonder what the markup is on that Starbucks.

I have an Ivan 60w I bought 2 years ago and the machine has worked like top and the staff at Hurricane Laser has been superb when needed for advice or trouble shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Smith61 View Post
    I have a Hurricane Ivan that I bought Jan 2013. I'm happy with it and I was happy with Hurricane Lasers. As for the lawsuit, I looked up the info that was available online and it does give me some concern...
    Seems to be good experiences early on but with the current landscape - $2m law suit, and I guess now this Gene Sherman, suit. Thats a lot of smoke..and Im sure attorneys or FS will pursue collection.

Mark,

Nothing to be concerned about as we are open and doing well.

Ron,

As far as collecting that will take some time as they will be entitled to some of our net income but nothing else. Might take 50 years to pay them off if ever. As stated earlier, if every company that lost a suit had to close there would not be anyone in business.

John

Just wanted to add that just yesterday (Jan 17, 2014) I had the need to call Hurricane for tech support. The phone was answered in two rings and my problem was solved in about 30 seconds. Of course I felt like an idiot when I heard the answer and the lady fixing the problem didn't even know she fixed my problem. When I bought the laser I also bought the rotary attachment. I just never used the rotatory attachment until now. So I finally got it out and hooked it up and followed all the directions to set up the software but whenever I'd hit test it was clear I didn't have it configured right. I played around for an hour and couldn't fix it and finally called. She asked the diameter of my material and I told her three inches. She said, "okay let me convert that to millimeters," and I said, I'm such an idiot. I had not converted to metric. What a dummy. Problem solved. So Hurricane is still in business and answering the phone and fixing my dumb mistakes.
    Mark Smith
    Tracy, CA
    Mark's Custom Woodcrafts
    Legacy Artie 58 CNC