Thread: Totally shameless new tool GLOAT and review....

Totally shameless new tool GLOAT and review....

Well...I bit the bullet and bought the Hitachi C10FSH sliding compound miter saw. Reviews from a couple of years ago listed a few items that needed improving. Believe it or not Hitachi was listening when they designed the new saw. They upgraded the bevel and miter scales to make them very easy to read. The new table has very positive detents. Every setting is totally tool less. They even added a laser. I really thought the laser was going to be more gimmick than necessity but after using it a bit I really like it and I believe it will be very useful. The saw has a cross cut of more than 12" and bevels both left and right!! Ultra smooth sliding mechanism. Much smoother than the Dewalt 12" set up right next to it.

This is the first tool I ever bought that was dead on in every respect right out of the box!! I have tested and measured everything and I can find nothing that needs to be aligned or adjusted. Blew my mind!!! Many, many test cuts were dead on accurate.

I got everything set up on my old miter station except the jury is still out on the dust collection. The Hitachi has a larger than most 2" port that works fairly well but I will have to come up with something more to make me happy. I can tell the SCMS will be a very interesting tool to get good collection on.

I would highly recommend this saw to anyone looking for a SCMS.

Thanks,

Terry
    Last edited by Terry Hatfield; 04-29-2003 at 8:33 AM.

Two questions, Terry.

1. Do you plan to use some sort of rear shroud-type box for DC on that thing? I know some others (I believe it was at the Pond) posted some pics and claims of success with that type.

2. Why did you think it wouldn't be accurate out of the box? Tools aimed at trim carpenters have to be because many (not all--good examples to the contrary in our midst here) won't lift a finger towards squaring them up.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Jason,

Yes, I'll be coming up with some kind of shroud for the back of the saw in conjunction with the factory DC port. Not sure exactly what just yet.

I really expected to have to make SOME kind of adjustment to the saw!!! I was totally impressed with Hitachi's attention to detail and factory setup.

Thanks,

Terry

Couldn't resist a laser pic.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up SCMS

Terry,

Congratulations on your new saw. One thing would make it better. If it was in my shop.

Thanks for the pictures........
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Sure glad you got some of them thar

moths out of your pocket. Less weight to carry around. Send it on up here and I will test it for a while. Don't want you wearing it out just yet. Will bring it back when I come down to visit.
    Steve on MO.

DC for SCMS

Hi Terry,

Steve Knight posted a DC hood that is outragously expensive but I think you could make something similar. He has a link to the site of the manufacturer.

It was nice meeting you at Ray's

When all else fails increase Hammer size!
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

Talking Hitachi Compound Miter Saw

It looks really nice.
    Best of luck with it.
    Put a decent blade on it and it should give you many hours and projects of enjoyment.
    envy! envy! envy!
    That's a three envy gloat!
    "Howdy" from Southwestern PA

Is that a twin laser? Is there a 12" version?

Derek,

It is a single laser but it is adjustable from one side of the blade to the other. Not sure if they make the same saw in 12". I checked Hitachi's site and they don't even show the saw I got...perhaps updating their website is not on par with updating their tools. They do show a 12" SCMS but no mention of the laser on that one.

Terry