Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laser_ProtectMask_5900 vs. Laserbits LiquaMASK

Laser_ProtectMask_5900 vs. Laserbits LiquaMASK

So I wanted to try out a liquid mask that people had been discussing on here in other threads.

LaserBits sells a gallon for $120 and someone else suggested that General Chemical had something similar (http://generalchemicalcorp.mybigcomm...Mask_5900.html) for $60 gallon.

Mike Fruciano, from Laserbits, replied once in a thread on here when asked if they were similar products:

"If a Ferrari is like a Toyota, then yes they are similar. The best form of flattery is to have someone copy your words and make them theirs."

So I contacted General Chemical and asked how their product compared to Laserbits product......their reply was that they are the same product.......Laserbits is one of their distributors.

So I purchased a gallon off of General Chemicals e-commerce website yesterday. Today my money was refunded. When I called to ask why, I was told that they would not sell to me directly, that I had to buy it from Laserbits.

No thanks.......I don't need to try that badly.
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

Strange I don't see anything on their website that states they only sell to their distributors. Pay with credit card and fill out credit terms.
    Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)
    Sawgrass 400 Gel Ink Printer, CS5, 5/9/x6 CorelDraw

I did pay with a credit card yesterday.......even got a confirmation e-mail that the transaction was completed........then today, I received another e-mail that the status had changed and that my money was refunded.
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clarkson View Post
    Mike Fruciano, from Laserbits, replied once in a thread on here when asked if they were similar products:

"If a Ferrari is like a Toyota, then yes they are similar. The best form of flattery is to have someone copy your words and make them theirs."

So I contacted General Chemical and asked how their product compared to Laserbits product......their reply was that they are the same product.......Laserbits is one of their distributors.
    And vendors wonder why we distrust them...

When would you apply this material....under what conditions........why? thanks
    Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)

Looks like they make a variety of other liquid masks for acrylic, marble, etc., several for even less money than the "laser" mask. Wouldn't surprise me if they are same/very similar/close enough formulations and might work just as well for less money. Strange that they'd list the laser mask if they'll only sell it to Laserbits, but maybe they'd sell you one of the others such as the acrylic mask...

FWIW I bought a quart of the Laserbits product last year, I think it was about $20 on special sale, and finally got around to trying it on a fairly intricate engraving. Very thick and viscous from the bottle. I was worried because it was so uneven looking when I brushed it on and it didn't look like it responded well to rebrushing, but an hour later it had evened out quite nicely. It lasered well and large contiguous areas peeled off easily, while I removed the small, disjoint areas by soaking in water a few minutes and then rubbing/washing away the residue. Worked well enough, but the prep time (particularly drying) is a lot longer than taping, while cleanup time is a bit less if your tape doesn't soak or cleanly rub off and you have to weed all the little bits individually.

I guess the venturist could shell out the 19.95 for a pint from LaserBits to try it out. Always looking for new materials to make the job easier.
    Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

I would be inclined to go to a hobby/art supply store and buy a small bottle of liquid frisket first.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/ArtSchool/W...ngfrisket.html
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Steve try calling them again, but ask for a distributer close to you, or even a list of them.
    I'll bet one sells them less than LaserBits, as different markets have different pricing structures.

Marty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

I'm just dumbfounded by this situation.

I found a different General Chemical distributor earlier today......one that also sells a gallon for $60......he was very happy to take my order. However, he doesn't stock the stuff, so he contacted General Chemical to have them drop ship it to me. Well........late this afternoon, I get a phone call from the new distributor advising me that General Chemical will only ship the stuff to me......IF.......I contact the Sawmill Creek administrator and ask them to delete this thread!!!!!!

Are you kidding me? Obviously, someone is reading this thread and I'm sure it isn't someone from General Chemical.

Don't these people know that if I REALLY wanted a gallon of this stuff that I could have my brother in Tennessee or my sister in Iowa or any of the people on here who have offered......just buy it for me?

This is akin to a "distributor" contacting Rowmark and telling them that Johnson's Plastics, or Delvies, or any other company that sells Rowmark.......can't sell to me because I once bought something from them and now I am their "captive" customer.

Is your reputation really worth 60 bucks?

Steve WoW and WoW! If General Chemical is doing something that is wrong (legal or illegal) it makes
    no sense that they WILL ship to you if you "pull your weight" and get this thread deleted. Seems
    they could acomplish that on their own and not ship it to you. If find this stuff happens in many areas.
    Take masking for example, we use little quantities and for a specialty, so they charge us lots, sign and vinyl shops
    use lots and it's standard product. It's cheaper to buy from those vendors than an awards vendor. (opps, maybe
    I shouldn't have said that SMC gets around!
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clarkson View Post
    I'm just dumbfounded by this situation.
    Is your reputation really worth 60 bucks?
    David Bowie phrased it well: "Dumbfounded with amazement which brodered upon stupefication!"

I wonder if Mike F knows about this thread - he hasn't logged in since the end of Feb.
    Steve \o/
    Dynamite With A Laser Beam LLC
    Epilog Helix 75W/Epilog Fusion Edge 80W and Jet 1642-EVS2

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Busey View Post
    David Bowie phrased it well: "Dumbfounded with amazement which bordered upon stupefication!"
    David Hemmings actually, narrating Rick Wakeman's "Journey to the Center of the Earth", presumably (translated) from Verne's text.

But yeah, any stupification in this situation is probably on the part of Laserbits.
    Last edited by Lee DeRaud; 05-03-2012 at 9:05 PM.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Hmmm. As I type this note, there are 63,063 members signed up on SMC. Not only will General Chemical need to go through that list to see if any of those members (i.e. potential customers) should purchase their mask from Laserbits, but they'll also need to verify if any friends or family of members of SMC are trying to purchase the mask from General Chemical or their other distributors. Then of course there are the thousands of lurkers who never even post on SMC who could be potential customers of either General Chemical or Laserbits. I guess that means General Chemical can't sell their Laser Protect Mask 5900 at all.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

If their customer service is dealing with things in this manner I may not want anything to do with this company. So GC, if you are reading this, speak up and lets hear your side.
    Some people go their whole life wondering if they made a difference in the world, Marines don't have that problem.(R. Reagan)

Epilog Helix 60 watt laser
    Corel Draw X5
    EngraveLab 8