Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dishwasher - need a new one, anyone go through the pain?

Dishwasher - need a new one, anyone go through the pain?

Our dishwasher just went. Anyone go through the pain of reading online reviews, etc.

I don't subscribe to Consumer Reports but read they put dishwashers through a tough test?
    Anyone with the latest results?

Bosch seems to be well spoken of

Like to keep under $1000 and with all the reading today, it seems $500 to $800 is in the ballpark?

Thanks for the help!
    Peter

Peter,

It would be a violation of copyright law and, I believe SMC's policies, for someone to share the article. However, I'd bet dollars-to-doughnuts that your local library has it either in print, or electronically, or both. It might require a quick in-person visit, but if you call them up they may be able to walk you through accessing it online, or even be able to email it to you as a registered user (assuming that you are).

I will tell you that Bosch, Whirlpool, and Kenmore drawer type were all scored equally well on reliability as the least repair prone.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

I think I'd find an appliance forum and ask there. Consumer Reports is fairly useful, but sometimes their torture tests and real-life long-term durability don't line up.

I can't remember how much it is a year, $26 or something for online content, but it's worth it if you value their information and want to make even one large purchase a year. The user reviews sometimes deviate from their ratings, and it's nice to be able to see their user review content as well.

Thanks, I don't mind buying the mag/article etc. Was looking for "CSR said this one rated best", or I bought this one because of XYZ. Which doesn't violate any rules...

Looking for anyone that went through the process and how they like their new dishwasher
    Thanks
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Elliott View Post
    Our dishwasher just went. Anyone go through the pain of reading online reviews, etc.
    We went through this last Summer. Did lots of research and wound up with a Bosch SHX43R52UC. Not the cheapest Bosch, the next one up, I believe. We have been happy with it - gets the dishes clean (using Finish) and is very quiet.
    Regards,
    Dick

I can tell you what NOT to get. Avoid Fisher-Paykel (and the Kitchenaid rebranding of the same) dish drawers. While these appear to be a cool idea they are:

1. Unreliable (we've had several failures on ours and my sister had one that never functioned).
    2. Noisy.
    3. Not all that convenient to load.

I've got an LG in the other house, but if I had it to do over again, I'd get a Miele like my neighbor. That thing is so quiet that I have opened there's while it was running not realizing it.

+1 on any Bosch with a stainless steel liner.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    +1 on any Bosch with a stainless steel liner.
    I'll put another vote in for the stainless liner. I'm not too familiar with Bosch but hear good things about their appliances.
    We have Electrolux, while the range has had a couple issues, the dishwasher has been super. Very quite and does a good job at cleaning.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

We bought a new dishwasher last year (Kenmore elite, 24" built-in, stainless) and I couldn't be more disappointed. $1100 poorer and we still have to rewash the dishes by hand. I think it may have less to do with the diswaher and more to do with the fact that there are no more phosphates in the soaps anymore. I hear from alot of people in the area who have the same issues. There is supposedly a product on the market that you can add to the wash cycles that will help, but I have not found any yet that work. The little bottle of jet-dry or other such products don't seem to do the trick. I even went so far as to try adding TSP (Trisodium Phosphate) to the cycle and at best was less than a quality wash.

Quote Originally Posted by John Pratt View Post
    We bought a new dishwasher last year (Kenmore elite, 24" built-in, stainless) and I couldn't be more disappointed. $1100 poorer and we still have to rewash the dishes by hand. I think it may have less to do with the diswaher and more to do with the fact that there are no more phosphates in the soaps anymore. I hear from alot of people in the area who have the same issues. There is supposedly a product on the market that you can add to the wash cycles that will help, but I have not found any yet that work. The little bottle of jet-dry or other such products don't seem to do the trick. I even went so far as to try adding TSP (Trisodium Phosphate) to the cycle and at best was less than a quality wash.
    I feel your pain John, have you tried the Cascade packets yet?? I buy them at Menards as that is the least expensive place to buy them from. It is a clear packet with powdered detergent and a blue liquid? (not sure if its a drying agent or detergent). We use these in conjuction with the drying additive, our dishwasher works good with this combo.

This is the product I'm describing http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...ts&FORM=IDFRIR
    Last edited by Jeff Monson; 05-01-2012 at 4:58 PM.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Natalie View Post
    I've got an LG in the other house
    No no no no nooooo.
    Our LG is a piece of junk. I was much, much happier with a KitchenAid I had, before.

+1 for Bosch. Going on 5 yrs, no issues. Does an excellent job and almost silent.
    - Tom

Plunk down $6 for a 1-month subscription to online CR and it'll be money worth spent. JUST REMEMBER TO CANCEL IT BEFORE THE MONTH IS UP.

Bosh for super quiet although it'll be north of $1k. I went Kenmore from Sears. Reasonably quiet, works fine 2 years later although I found a rust spot on one of the rack. I haven't dug into the warranty to see if I can get it replaced but in the mean time, I slapped some rust converter purple stuff on it.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Both we and my sister-in-law have Miele and couldn't be happier. They are without doubt pricey, but after 7 years still running strong. And so quiet that the only time you are aware they are running is when the drain gurgles during pump out.

Recently put in a Kitchenaid that retailed for about $899 before rebates. Love it. Stainless inside and out. Very quiet. Does a super job.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...