Thread: 13/16" for frames... Why?

13/16" for frames... Why?

I notice more and more that I see folks using 13/16" for face frames and door frames and such. What is the advantage? A little more strength? Better "fit" with some router bits?

David

David, in the cabinet industry,

it's actually 25/32". Reason being, you can buy face frame material already ripped to size. 25/32"x1 1/2" thru 3". They surface to 25/32" so you can sand after assembly and end up at 3/4".
    Steve

Ooooh! OK. That makes sense.

I'm surfacing most of my own S2S, so that won't apply to me at this time.

That's good. I've got a mess of walnut S2S that measures 3/4" now. I suspect that much of it will be fine for 5/8" panels.

Thanks

David

13/16" Face Frames

David, thats the thickness most cabinetmaking material comes in from the supplier. A lot of shops have widebelt sanders and sand it down to 3/4" after making the frames. I plane it down to almost 3/4" and sand smooth on the stroke sander after assembly, works for me. On my raised panel doors, I plane the frames with the face frame material then sand after assembly. Panels are glued up from 13/16" then I plane them to 5/8", then sand the back on the stroke sander and raise on the shaper, sand profile, then assemble and sand the finished door.
    Last edited by Bobby Hatfield; 04-28-2003 at 8:38 PM.

Talking Thanks "Grouchy".

You need to wander over some time for a cup of coffee and a chance for me to soak you for some of that experience. :-)

David