Thread: How to install a Byrd Shelix cutter head into a Delta DJ-20 jointer

How to install a Byrd Shelix cutter head into a Delta DJ-20 jointer

I spent 1.5 hours last night changing my DJ-20 over to a Byrd Shelix cutter head. While the process went fine, I found the instructions from Byrd to be woefully inadequate. I hope that these lessons from my experience will help others when it comes time to install this piece into their jointer.

Parts Required
    Bearing, 6004zz (shielded), item 58 in drawing
    Bearing, 6005zz (shielded), item 67 in drawing
    Byrd cutter head

Tools Required
    Retaining ring pliers (internal retaining ring type)
    M8 fastener 20-30mm long
    Dead blow mallet
    Metric allen key set
    14 gauge wire 36 inches long
    Gear puller, 3" capacity, even number of fingers
    3/8" dowel or similar sized scrap wood

Delta DJ-20 Exploded Assembly View.jpg

Procedure

1. Remove blade guard from jointer (items 72 through 79)
    2. Remove cutter guard from jointer (items 51 & 52)
    3. Remove fence assembly from jointer (items 1 through 48)
    4. Remove motor cover from the base of the jointer
    5. Remove the belt cover from in front of the pulley
    6. Now that you have access to the belt, rotate it off of the pulley so that the cutter head is able to rotate freely.
    7. Using the 14 gauge wire, form a hook that is able to be lowered between the cutter head (item 61) and the operator side bearing housing (item 57). This wire will be used to cradle the operator side of the cutter head during removal so that it does not fall down the dust chute. Pull the wire up so that approximately 12 inches of wire is on each side of the cutter head.
    8. Remove the socket head cap screws (item 55 & 56) from the fence side bearing housing (item 68).
    9. Using a dead blow mallet and 3/8" dowel, place the dowel against the operator side of the cutter head and drive the cutter head assembly (items 58 through 71) from the operator side bearing housing (item 57). As the bearing nears its release from the operator side bearing housing, support the operator side of the cutter head assembly using the wire installed in step 7.
    10. Remove the cutter head assembly from the jointer and set aside.
    11. Remove the operator side bearing housing (items 55 through 57) and set aside.
    12. Remove the pulley (items 62 and 69 through 71) from the cutter head assembly.
    13. Install the M8 fastener into the tapped end of the cutter head. Place the fingers of the gear puller around the bearing housing (item 68) and press the cutter head out of the bearing housing by advancing the gear puller's jack screw against the M8 fastener.
    14. Using the retaining ring pliers, remove the retaining ring from the bearing housing, press out the bearing and replace it with bearing 6005zz. Reinstall the retaining ring.
    15. Press the 6004zz bearing onto the stubby end of the Byrd cutter head. My bench vise has a 15" opening capacity so there was no issue with pressing bearings onto the cutter head. If you do this using the dead blow mallet, you will have to be careful to ensure the part is square to the cutter head.
    16. Press the fence side bearing housing onto the Byrd cutter head. Reinstall the pulley onto the new cutter head.
    17. Cradle the operator side of the Byrd cutter head using the 14 gauge wire and re-insert the cutter head assembly back into the jointer from the fence side.
    18. Fasten the fence side bearing housing in place using the socket head cap screws that were removed earlier. Support the operator side of the assembly using the wire mentioned in step 17.
    19. Line the operator side bearing housing (item 57) up with the 6004zz bearing and tap in place using a dead blow mallet. Fasten the bearing housing to the jointer using the socket head cap screws that were removed earlier.
    20. Place the drive belt back onto the motor and cutter head pulleys.
    21. Reinstall the jointer fence and all guards that were initially removed.

thank you!!!!

Paul- that is a very detailed set of instructions, nice job. I'm surprised the Byrd instructions were deficient - the ones for replacing the cutter on my Dewalt planer were very good.
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

The Byrd instructions for the 15" planer were very good too. It was just the jointer instructions that were poor.

5. Sorry if I'm dredging up an old thread and that's bad etiquette but I wanted to say how helpful this was when I change the head on my DJ-20 last week. Thanks very much for posting this!