Thread: Cradle

Cradle

This was the first project I've attempted that didn't involve some sort of pocket screw, so I kind of did it as a learning experience. I really learned a lot. It's a cradle built (partially) from some reclaimed furniture. I only took pictures to show my Grandfather what I was working on, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to post it in here.

So, the first picture is one of the chairs that this started as. We had two of those chairs and a couch that we didn't want. I'm pretty sure it's all mahogany, but it had been outside for a while I think, and parts of it weren't in the best shape. So I salvaged what I could. I was able to use it for everything but the big panels. So the first thing I did was make the frames on the ends. This was the first time I ever attempted mortise and tenon joinery. Having them at angles made it a little more difficult, but it came out ok by my standards. Then I made the rails. I used an old tongue and groove plane that I found in my other Grandfather's barn to cut the grooves. I used this when I could, and used a router to cut the grooves that it wouldn't work for. When I was test fitting it all together, I realized that I needed something more than dowels to hold the two ends together, so I made some support rails on the bottom and fit them with dovetails. I didn't realize it at the time, but this kind of screwed me in my assembly/glue up plan. But I got over that later. So then I glued the side panels up from some hardware store mahogany (which is way to expensive in Hawaii, but I was lazy), and cut the tongues with the tongue and groove plane.

For the panels, I wanted something that would let some air flow through. It can get pretty warm out here, but a nice breeze helps a ton. So I tried something that I saw in Fine Woodworking a while back. The 4th picture shows the jig I made for one of the end panels. My shop is super small, and it barely fit. I didn't have the right screws to mount the router right on the plywood arm, so I just used its rails instead. I just cut a bunch of arcs into the panel, then flip it over and do it on the other side. I tried to draw it out and figure out how it would look, but that's tough. I ended up just using scrap pieces until I found what I liked. I cut the side panels, and then the end panels. I was a little to aggressive with the router, so it took a lot of sanding to fix it.

I screwed up and cut the end panels backwards, which you can see in the last two pictures. The tongue and groove plane is made for 3/4" thick material, and my panels are a little less, so I couldn't just swap sides. And the end panels aren't exactly the same size because I was sloppy. I was planning to make it look like the 7th picture, but I ended up liking it better backwards so I kept it. I then spent the next few weeks sanding the panels. That took a long long time. I wanted it nice and smooth, with no sharp edges that he would cut himself on.

Then I cut the rockers on the bottom, and cut the tops of the end panels off. I learned that trying to carve curved shapes with a chisel is difficult. I'll add some basic carving tools on my Christmas list. The bottom of the cradle is more of the scrap wood held together with tongue and groove joints.

Right around there was when I realize my major error. That's when I realized that I made it about 2" to wide for the cradle mattress we bought. I was measuring from the wrong spots on the end panel. Then he decided that he wanted to be born about 10 days early. About two weeks after we got him home I finished. I had more sanding to do, I used shellac as a finish, with some wax on parts of it, and I made some bumpers out of thick foam and duct tape to make up for my extra 2 inches of width. I had to rush the finish and my make shift bumpers, but its ok because he can actually use it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (96.7 KB, 90 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (85.5 KB, 80 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (74.5 KB, 75 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (96.7 KB, 90 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (100.2 KB, 82 views)
    • File Type: jpg 6.jpg (79.9 KB, 99 views)
    • File Type: jpg 7.jpg (93.4 KB, 107 views)
    • File Type: jpg 8.jpg (86.7 KB, 147 views)

Nice job on the cradle....Aren't you afraid that the baby might get It's fingers or hand caught in the holes ?

Very interesting design and the more I look at it the more I like it. Question: how did you get the first rough cut in the vents and then finish the air vents? I also had a concern about little fingers but then I don't how ong you intend to leave him in the craddle.

I'm not concerned about his fingers getting caught in the holes. I do have some worries about him getting his hand stuck sometime, but the holes are mostly to small. It's just some of the ones in the middle that might be a problem once he gets big enough to start moving around in there. We only put him in there during the day when we're around to watch him too. He doesn't sleep in it over night. My logic (which is probably bad) is that he'll start to cry if he gets a hand stuck in a hole. I can't imagine it would do any real damage to him. Maybe he'd even learn something. But feel free to upgrade me if my logic is way off base. I sanded the sharp edges down as best I could too. I was more concerned about larger gaps where he could suffocate, which is ironic because that is the part I screwed up and had to make extra padded bumpers to fit around the mattress.

For cutting the vents I used a jig I made for the router with a 3/4" round nose bit. The router was mounted onto a plywood arm with holes drilled every 2" down it's length (similar to a circle cutting jig for a router). On the plywood base there is a nail driven in with its head cut off for a pivot point. I take the side/end panels and just press fit it on the plywood base with some scrap pieces of the same thickness that are screwed down. Then I just route an arc that is a little more than half the thickness of the panel deep. Then I move the plywood arm down to the next hole 2" away and repeat. Do that until I have one side cut. Then I flip the panel over and repeat. The arcs on each side of the panel are opposite (one arcs up, the other side arcs down), so where the intersect, you end up with the holes. It initially comes out pretty rough, so it just takes a ton of sanding to get the holes nice and smooth. I ended up sanding up to 320 grit.

Eric .. looks real pretty ...something that will be handed down I'm sure .........
    Usually busier than a cat in a sand box

That is some really fine woodworking. I also have the FWW article that you got your inspiration from-neat design. This shows the fine work that can be created even in a small space. Keep up the great work.