Thread: Creating a Paper Pattern

Creating a Paper Pattern

Hi Everyone-

I'm working on a project and for sake of simplicity let's say I have the letter "K". In Corel I've created a document that is 48" x 48" and made the "K" as large as possible, it's has no fill and hairline outline. My intent is using regular 8.5 x 11 paper (I may run and get some 11 x 17 later), put out the "K" and tape the parts back together and the cut it out on a piece of plywood (using a jig saw). I'm using the method for making multi-tile murals to create "my tiles" (copy paper of 8.5 x 11) and can successfully break the "K" into 8.5 x 11 tiles.

My question is how and where to put my paper to get the laser to cut through the edges. When I put the paper in the top left (0,0) and cut of the tiles, the laser (correctly so) couldn't cut all the way at the top or the left side. I though if I put a spacer along the top and left side (1/2 or so), then I would still have the same problem. I watched a video about this multi-tile process, and she created her titles a little larger (.125") to allow for bleeding. Would this work when trying to cut the tile out vs engraving an image on tiles?

Question #2 - at the back of a pad of legal paper, the heavy cardboard (chip board?).. anyone know of a supplier.

Thanks,
    Kevin
    Retired Navy SHCS (SW/AW)
    Universal Versalaser VLS 3.50 30W / Corel X4
    God Bless

Kevin

You can get clipboards from Johnson Plastics--they'll be for sublimation.

I think the solution to your drawing problem may be to use registration marks which Corel will allow you to do.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

In Corel 13

To tile a print job

1. Click File Print.

2. Click the Layout tab.

3. Enable the Print tiled pages check box.

4. Type values in the following boxes:

Tile overlap — lets you specify the number of inches by which to overlap tiles

% of page width — lets you specify the percentage of the page width the tiles will occupy

Enable the Tiling marks check box to include tiling alignment marks.

For the chipboard, go to any local print shop. They should have it in large size.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin
    SawmillCreek.org
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    45W Epilog Helix
    Corel X4, Photoshop CS3
    Sherline 4400 lathe
    JET 1221 Lathe
    JET 1014 Lathe
    Craftman 36" VS lathe