Thread: cribbage board ideas

cribbage board ideas

Hello Friends,

I'd like to make a cribbage board, and could use some design idea help. Basically I want to make one in the general format of the one below (hopefully prettier wood). For drilling the holes, I will probably make a paper template in CAD or something, tape it on, and drill thru the paper. Is there a better way?

Also, I'd like to have the lines and text similar to the one below. So far the only idea I've come up with is to use the rub-off transfer letters, then finish over them. Not sure about the lines and curves though. Is there a better solution, or one more "traditional?" It would be cool to carve or burn, but I wouldn't know where to begin with that.

A simple project, I know, but still could use some tips. Thanks!

Andy,

If you own Corel Draw take a look at Shaddy's cribbage board Corel Draw file at the following link;
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...light=cribbage
    Below is a picture of the final project;
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...light=cribbage

I think it will be hard to get all of the holes lined up properly with a paper template, even if CAD drawn. I would make up some sort of jig and create a method for "indexing" the board to drill the holes.

As for the lines and such, you might take your CAD drawing to someone who owns a laser and have them burn the design. I have no idea what the laser work might cost, so can't speculate as to whether it would fall within your budget???

4. I have done something similar by using a light colored piece of veneer and ran it through my inkjet printer. I only did a small piece but it worked fine.

Then you just glue up the veneer to your substrate. If you are careful you can probably drill through the veneer and substrate for all of the holes.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Meijer
    I think it will be hard to get all of the holes lined up properly with a paper template, even if CAD drawn. I would make up some sort of jig and create a method for "indexing" the board to drill the holes.

As for the lines and such, you might take your CAD drawing to someone who owns a laser and have them burn the design. I have no idea what the laser work might cost, so can't speculate as to whether it would fall within your budget???
    I've thought about the jig, but can't quite wrap my head around it. One, it seems easier to do the line work (whichever way) first, and then the drilling. Otherwise, I'll be trying to burn/etch/paint/etc. over the holes. Seems like it would be much easier on solid wood. The problem then becomes if I am using a jig that indexes one hole off the previously drilled hole, any minute error, gets multipled as you work down the board, right? And the holes may not end up where they should be, relative to the lines. Then, the obvious solution is to do the lines after the holes....That's why I thought a good paper template, self centering bit, and fence on the DP might be as good as anything... I don't know.

As for the burning, my wife may have access to something at school. She in grad school for architecture and they have some sorta laser model maker thingy that may work. Niether of us are really familiar with it, though, so I need to convince her to check it out and see if it can help here.

Thanks guys. I know this is a silly little project, but would like to try it, and do as good as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Henriksen
    ... The problem then becomes if I am using a jig that indexes one hole off the previously drilled hole, any minute error, gets multipled as you work down the board, right? And the holes may not end up where they should be, relative to the lines. Then, the obvious solution is to do the lines after the holes....That's why I thought a good paper template, self centering bit, and fence on the DP might be as good as anything... I don't know.
    The only help I can offer - Use the fence on the DP to control the distance in from the edge for each row. Then find some material that's the exact thickness of your desired center-to-center hole spacing. Cut a whole bunch of shims out of that material and put the stack of shims up against a stop block - removing one shim at a time to drill the next hole, etc. etc. Keeping dust building from accumulating against the stop block or shims would be pretty critical. This would at least be referencing each hole off the board and not the previous hole though.
    Use the fence Luke

Andy,

Another option for drilling the holes is with a CNC router, they would all line up perfectly and the same drawing used for drilling can be used for engraving the lines.

Hi
    I do CNC work with wood. The design you have is simple and lines and holes can be drawn and cut in one pass. The lines are cut clean and you can color them accordingly. Most cad programs will do rectangles with rounded edges.

What's the rough cost for an entry level CNC router setup? Are these even an option for a hobbiest?

Dee Dee, anything is an option for a hobbiest. However, from what I have seen, they are MUCHO dinero!! They sure are sweet though.
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Dee Dee I'm not sure but I would say that there is no entry level machine available. You either do it or you don't. There is more to it than the machine.
    You must also have a cad/cam program to draw the item as well as give you the G code to run the machine. I hope that answers your question. If not I will try again.
    ken

12. I'm a software developer by trade, so am very comfortable with programming, and CAD/CAM software.

Anyone familiar with those, like in eBay auction 7508288204 ?

Dee Dee
    All my equipment is sherline with flashcut cnc control. I'm not familar with the item you mentioned.
    ken