Thread: Another interesting effect for painted aluminum

Another interesting effect for painted aluminum

I was looking for a way to make another color with my two tone technique for painting aluminum cake pans, because the only colored primers I have are boring: black, white, rust and grey. So here, I put one layer of black primer and then one layer of hammered copper spray paint. Then, I rastered the design using 100 sp and 50 power. This ate through the primer unevenly for some reason... it had not done that before, but then again Bill Neal just realigned and leveled my laser so it is cooking like never before. But I digress.

I made another test piece and this time I put two layers of primer and two layers of color, then rastered at 100 sp and 40 power. This gave me the effect I wanted, a brown tone nice and even.

These two pics show the results, but the uneven grey-black you see is not really that uneven, it's the flash from the camera reflecting the aluminum color. It actually looks nice, as in aged antique-like. So I now have two effects!

cheers, dee
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Nice work Dee! Any tricks to get the "hammered effect" so pronounced?
    I use it on black acrylic all the time, but have never got quite the effect
    you have.
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Thanks Martin, the hammered effect is best if you put down the first coat smoothly and then really lay down the second coat heavily. It will flow and make the hammered effect by itself. This is not how you normally apply spray paint, but it works well for this kind.
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

that looks great.. I know what you mean about the primer though. Too bad they
    didn't sell it in something other than aerosol cans so you could tint it yourself
    and airbrush..

Pretty nice indeed. Congratulations.

very rich looking, I like it.

ernie
    Rabbit 1290 80W RECI
    Shopbot PRS Alpha
    Aspire, Corel, Signlab, and many more
    Gerber Edge and 2 vinyl cutters
    plus a shop full of woodworking and metalworking machines

For those who did not see it in previous threads, this is what the rusty red primer looks like with blue car paint. What I found out is that the laser will burn through the paint but leave the primer. So if you don't want just the silver color of the metal, you can have some choices.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Red Coin Mah Jong

Really nice Dee. Love your work. Think the final effect looks really nice, and very rustic looking. I find you don't always need a perfect finish for things to look really nice (adds to the effect).
    Jit Patel
    London UK

30w Trotec Speedmarker CL (Galvo) with 400mm & 250mm lens
    80w Trotec Speedy 400 with Rotary, Vacuum Table, Cutting Lamellas, 2" & 1.5" lens, Pass through
    Oki Printing Press
    Abobe Creative Suite - Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign.
    Vector Magic

Very nice Dee,

I have been working on a large glass panel the last few days, we used Rustoleum Copper Hammer paint to make the text pop. We experimented with a couple different primer coats which made subtle changes to the final color of the Copper. The glass was too large for our laser engraver so we took it to Norva Plastics and used their 4 by 8 foot Kern laser to cut a very heavy mask that we installed. I have a few pictures of the job that I will share in another thread later....today is the day we install the glass panel

Dee

Another artistic piece and neat concept. You are the Maestro.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

This is fantastic Dee - as always. Really inspirational.
    Shenhui 80W RECI (600mm x 900mm)
    Corel X5