Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: veritas tongue and groove plane?

I already picked up the mail today, but I may just have to run out there and check again, just in case...
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Lee Valley posted Tongue-and-Groove Accessories for Plow Planethe today (5/17/12) on their wed site.
    http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...13&cat=51&ap=1

got one coming to me already. along with a few other "needed" things.

thanks
    adam

Looking at the site, everything is ala cart. I was kinda expecting to see some sets. Oh well, I guess it doesn't matter. What happened to the blade holder roll? Is that coming later?

BTW, has anybody received the offer letter yet?

They're available on the web site, Ryan..
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Baker View Post
    Looking at the site, everything is ala cart. I was kinda expecting to see some sets. Oh well, I guess it doesn't matter. What happened to the blade holder roll? Is that coming later?

BTW, has anybody received the offer letter yet?
    Hi Ryan,

The intro prices always represent our deepest discount...so we will not post the new sets until after the intro expires...

Letters went out the end of last week, so delivery is in the hands of your postal system! Blade holder roll is being worked on now...but is still a couple of months away...

Cheers,

Rob
    ( enjoying 28c sunny weather at the lake....)

Thanks Rob. I got the letter today. I'm getting my order ready.

Just in case it is not obvious, the post here on "Accessory blades for the Small Plow" is about setting up and using the T&G format.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Is there a "bundle" price for the full set of adapter and all sizes of T&G and wide blades?

Mike,

Rob answers this in #66. They'll be higher than the intro price, when they are available.

Jim
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cogswell View Post
    Is there a "bundle" price for the full set of adapter and all sizes of T&G and wide blades?
    Hi Mike -

The 25% (or more) off the individuals is the best discount we can give (and stay in business!). We prefer to discount this way, as "bundles" can tempt people to buy far a larger range than they can use. Generally - a set discount (bundles) ranges from 5-15%. We haven't listed our set prices yet, as they will ultimately have a higher price than the individual prices currently in effect.

Cheers -

Rob

Rob, with the large blade adapter, would it be feasible to use this as a beading or other small profile plane? Would you consider offering blank blades? I know having dedicated planes is nice, but for the hobby woodworker on a budget it's not always possible and a few of us like to tinker around.

Thanks,
    Paul

Hi Paul -

The small plow does work well as a beading plane - but the square skate profile is not ideal for most beads - too much of recess either side of rthe bead. We did prototype a modified skate plow - but it's a completely different body, and not a backward compatible modification.

Any of the plow blades we have now can be used as "blanks" .... or you asking about unhardened blades?

Cheers -

Rob

Rob, you are making it easier to justify buying one of these. Yes, annealed blanks are easier to shape and if they are O-1 not that difficult to harden. But I see A2 is what's available for this plane.
    Thanks,
    Paul

If you want to go to go to the trouble of shaping a custom cutter and heat treating it, it doesn't seem like it'd be that much work to start with raw stock - the only extra bit needed is a slot on the end to engage the adjuster wheel - if you're only using it on a single version of the plow (ie., you don't own both the left and right handed planes) then you only need one notch, not two like the blades LV sells. I'm not sure what Rob offering blanks really would get you.