Thread: Coreldraw problem

Coreldraw problem

I hope somebody can help me. A client gave me a drawing that has quite a lot of overlapping detail. If you look at the top right or bottom left in wireframe you will see what I mean. We chopped the excess lines out manually and created a drawing that could be engraved. What I would like to know is if there is an easier way to remove the underlying lines. I suppose one could turn the drawing into a bitmap and trace it. Is there not a tool in AI or Coreldraw to discard all the excess underlying detail.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by John Johnson 2 View Post
    Is there not a tool in AI or Coreldraw to discard all the excess underlying detail.
    Select the two shapes that overlap. Select Arrange>Shaping>Simplify.

T.

Yes, I know that but there are lots and lots.

Is this giving you issues with engraving? I am missing something on why this is an issue.
    Would just turning the corners into a bitmap an leave the rest as vector? Does the whole piece
    have to be vector?
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

I don't understand the problem either. I do see that the two flagged ends will be cut off, though... did you intend that to happen?
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

I need to be able to outline every line in the art and then engrave the blackened areas.

Lets rather call this an acidemic exercise: how would you remove the underlying vectors so as to engrave and outline. As I said, I know that one can do it mechanically by chopping up each object (This is exactly what I did) but I still feel that there has to be an easier way considering that the final artwork shows only the upper part of each object that is visible. I think that it should be possible in software.

Quote Originally Posted by John Johnson 2 View Post
    I need to be able to outline every line in the art and then engrave the blackened areas.

Lets rather call this an acidemic exercise: how would you remove the underlying vectors so as to engrave and outline. As I said, I know that one can do it mechanically by chopping up each object (This is exactly what I did) but I still feel that there has to be an easier way considering that the final artwork shows only the upper part of each object that is visible. I think that it should be possible in software.
    If I am understanding it right, I think software may have issues with the layering which is top and which is bottom and inbetween.

Are you planning on doing a vector cut? It looks like there already is 2 lines and the are filled with black?

Maybe if you showed us what you did we may get a better grasp on it.
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

I didn't solve the problem in CorelDraw although it is possible. I just exported the drawing to Rhino and did it there. I've worked out how to solve the problem in code, I just don't know how to speak Coreldraw VBA. I've posted an algorithm on the Coreldraw forum and hopefully somebody would be able to translate it to Coreldraw VBA. It is a simple loop within a loop that runs through all the selected objects.

I'll post the solution once I get it to run.

try this, use removeUnderlyingDups.gms to remove the duplicate lines, just put it in the GMS folder, it will help about 80% of the time.

hope this helps !

corel problem

Manually it may be possible only if we could select by batch, else by color
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Epilog Legend 24 EX - 75W with Rotary
    Fiber laser Marker 20w ( IPG)
    Flat bed heat press, Mug printing, Epson 230 x 2
    Flame Polishing machine, Acrylic Bender, Nicejet Flatbed printer A3+, Electrochemical etcher.
    "If you think you can or you cannot - you're right" HENRY FORD