I'm very late reading this excellent article, but would like to make a few comments on my own solution to the small shop. Mine is a very small shop, it is in my bedroom. The bedroom is 12 x 15' and basically divided in half diagonally as shop and living quarters (bed, bookshelves, desk, etc.). I mainly do wood turnings, but also some other work. The equipment is a lathe, a grinding station, a band saw, a drill press, and a small belt/disc sander. There is also a 5' work bench.

As it is a bedroom in an apartment I really can't light the whole shop with ceiling fixtures so I took an alternate route. I have two industrial fixtures (paired 4' T8 lights) suspended on pulleys from the ceiling. One is over the workbench and the other over the lathe. As an old sailorman I've set them up with a double pulley and a single one so that the lines to each end of the fixture are paired and can be pulled together - they are cleated down on the wall. That way I can raise or lower them at will (convenient also for changing bulbs - I'm 78 and on one leg). The band saw and drill press each have their own goose neck fixtures, and I've installed one over the grinding station as well as another on a rolling table that is the storage for my lathe tools. I use that one to give me a horizontal light when hollowing bowls.

In no way is this a contradiction of the article, it is an alternate solution for those who may not be able to either afford or install full shop lighting. Oops, I forgot something. My sanding and finishing station is a folding work table (B & D Workmate) in the "living half" of the room. I put a triple spot strip fixture on the wall to light it. It is energy inefficient but I only use it when off lathe sanding or finishing.

Thank you for the article, it was very informative for me as to the terminology - I've been going "by guess and by golly" in selecting bulbs and understanding what the new regulations will allow us to buy. I'd be interested in learning about the kinds of "spot lamps" that will be available for standard sockets as I use them for local lighting.