Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need to learn how to do payroll. Or do I?

Need to learn how to do payroll. Or do I?

Looking for advice on methods for a small woodshop to handle payroll for one or two employees.

For 10 years I've had my local temp service handle my payroll. I'd call in my employees hours they did the rest, except for workers comp. Technically, they were the temp service employees.

They charged 19% to do absolutely everything but the workers comp., which I thought was a great deal.

But they can no longer do that, thanks to listening to the advice of a lawyer.

SO-- Should I suck it up and learn how to do payroll myself (something I would hate every second of as I'm already overloaded with work).

OR get some software? (I use Mac)

Or use an online payroll service?

Or hire a bookkeeper?

Or see if I can find employees who will work just to hear my jokes and fashion advice?

Thanks for any help!
    -Steve
    Last edited by Steve Griffin; 04-16-2012 at 10:47 AM.

Steve, I'm in the "hate payroll" camp also. I bit the bullet a few years ago and started doing it myself. I have 5 employees to pay, it takes me about 20 minutes from start to finish. I have efficiency bonuses to calculate so that takes up at least 5 minutes.

If they are paid hourly, how do you handle time cards?? I have a simple Lathem time clock, they can be had easily on Ebay. Swipe cards for the employees, thus figuring out hours worked is very simple. Its an easy to use system that works on your PC.

I use Quickbooks for the rest of payroll, once you have your employees set up, its just a matter of inputting hours worked and bonuses if applicable. The software does the rest.

I do all my own bookwork, except for quarterly taxes and end of year taxes. My accountant handles these things for me. I have saved a ton of money in the last 12 years by doing it myself.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Are the jokes funny and the fashion advice hip? This really changes the equation.

My wife uses a service called Paychex for her veterinary practice. They take care of payroll, quarterly reports, filing the taxes, 401K plans, etc. She likes their service a lot.

I used a payroll service, but they have a flat fee instead of a percentage. A lot less than 19%! If you think about it there is no reason that it should be a percentage, its exactly the same amount of work no matter how much you are paying the employee.

My wife does it now in kahoots with my accountant, so it costs me less. Maybe....

There are so many general contractors out of work around here that I have been hiring them as subs and 1099'ing them, they provide proof of insurance. I can pay them a lot more and get better help. Downside is that you have to be very careful you don't hire a weasel who would steal your customer. I'm careful, but I still keep them away from customers if at all possible.

No one hates paperwork more than I! I love the little thing at the bottom of Jeffs posts. That is exactly how I feel about it.

Larry

When I had my business, I didn't make enough to be able to even pay myself, so I never ran into that issue. Had I, I probably would have hired it out.

My dad hired a bookkeeper for his business before it bellied up. He had upwards of 20 employees at one time.

+1 . . . . . . . . . . .

Thanks for the ideas guys.

I'll investigate quickbooks and paychex. Any alternatives to quickbooks? (I've heard more than one person say they don't like it)

Larry--that percentage was that high because they payed the employer paid taxes too.

I hate all paperwork, except when depositing checks! If you could find out about how long it takes and what you would be saving by doing it yourself you could arrive at a cost per hour of your time - then decide.
    Last edited by Bob Lloyd; 04-16-2012 at 7:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Lloyd View Post
    I hate all paperwork, except when depositing checks! If you could find out about how long it takes and what you would be saving by doing it yourself you could arrive at a cost per hour of your time - then decide.
    Exactly my plan. I figure if doing payroll works out to more than twice my normal pay rate for shop or design time, I should probably do the paperwork. Otherwise, I'll happily pass the chore on to others.

I have done it both ways, but when I got up to 4 employees decided to pay the flat monthly amount (per employee).
    They had an online system I used to report the hours and delivered the checks to the shop on paydays. Well worth the cost.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Griffin View Post
    Exactly my plan. I figure if doing payroll works out to more than twice my normal pay rate for shop or design time, I should probably do the paperwork. Otherwise, I'll happily pass the chore on to others.
    Steve, you might want to check out Intuit Payroll as well. Very cost-effective and easy to use. They offer a 30-day free trial, also.

I use Quickbooks and love it. I don't, however, use it for payroll. I set up my own payroll system/spreadsheets in Excel and that works for me. Check with your bank. Our bank offers payroll with direct deposit for a flat fee for up to 100 (I think) employees. It's something like $40 per month. I'm thinking of switching. Included in that is monthly payroll tax deposits.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Until a year or two ago, we used QuickPay, from Intuit. IMHO, Intuit figured they could get more money by going to an online solution, and killed QuickPay.

Since then, we have used a package from Medlin. www.medlin.com.

It seems to work pretty well, and it is fairly inexpensive. They have a demo you can download.

And the winner is: Intuit. Thanks MR Harris the second!

I'm set up to run my first payroll next monday with them, using the 3 months for $20 trial.

So far I'm very impressed at how nice the website walks you through all the steps. Just the sort of hand holding someone as clueless as me needed.

Thanks again for all the ideas!

-Steve