Thread: Posting Your Mug

Posting Your Mug

What's the procedure for posting a self image? As they say it's nice to see a face associated with a message.

Jerry, you need to go to your "user cp". You'll see that toward the top of the page you're viewing right now. Once there, on the left side, you'll see "Edit Avatar". You'll need a picture of yourself (or reasonable facsimile ) on your computer's hard drive. To quote from the edit function: Note: The maximum size of your custom image is 50 by 50 pixels or 19.5 KB (whichever is smaller).
    Enter the location of your pic, submit it and you're set! Be "seeing" you!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

As a side note, and while I haven't officially instituted policy, I do prefer actual pictures to comical avatars.
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Koehl
    As a side note, and while I haven't officially instituted policy, I do prefer actual pictures to comical avatars.
    I think you should institute a policy of "actual pictures"
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Salisbury
    I think you should institute a policy of "actual pictures"
    Ken,
    Are you suggesting mandatory avatars with "actual pictures" or just eliminating cartoon avatars, i.e. do you think people should still have the choice of not having an avatars at all?
    Rob

I must admit that the cartoons irritate me when they're left on more than the joke is worth - about two days. On the other hand, it really irritates me when the location isn't listed. Just this morning, I came across several discussions in which the member said where he lived (it mattered to the discussion), but didn't have his location listed. We have a lot of discussions about tools, wood, etc. that are location-sensitive. (Just my morning complaint - I need some coffee!)

Bob
    Spinning is good on a lathe, not good in a Miata.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hovde
    I must admit that the cartoons irritate me when they're left on more than the joke is worth - about two days. On the other hand, it really irritates me when the location isn't listed. Just this morning, I came across several discussions in which the member said where he lived (it mattered to the discussion), but didn't have his location listed. We have a lot of discussions about tools, wood, etc. that are location-sensitive. (Just my morning complaint - I need some coffee!)

Bob
    My sentiments exactly, Bob! Generally, I like to see locations indicating a pretty close proximity to where the member actually is. Oh, and I've already had my morning coffee! (Been at work for well over two hours already! )
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Blaustein
    Ken,
    Are you suggesting mandatory avatars with "actual pictures" or just eliminating cartoon avatars, i.e. do you think people should still have the choice of not having an avatars at all?
    Rob
    Rob:

Avatars are never mandatory, but when they are used, I prefer actual photographs. It really helps on get-togethers and really puts a face behind the messages.

Bob:

Locations are really a nice thing to have. Although we require real first and last names, I can't justify requiring a location. On the other hand, once people realize what kind of community we have here at the 'Creek, perhaps those who choose not to list their location will change their mind.

The location can really help you infer a lot about people, and it's always interesting to see that you're talking to someone thousands of miles away; or your neighbor two blocks away.
    _Aaron_

I know folks were a little annoyed with my spinny head, so when the discussion came up about bandwidth and how much avatars eat up, I just deleted mine. Personally, I think the 19.5k limit on avatars is way high, I think something in the 5-10k range would probably still be more than adequate, and with that limit, the bandwidth could be cut in half, roughly. What sayest thou, Aaron? (Maybe I'll get around to putting my ugly mug back up...)
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Fortunately, while we are looking for ways to reduce bandwidth consumption, avatars only consume about 3% of our total monthly transfer. (This wasn't always the case, but users have cached most of the avatars on their local systems).

Our largest bandwidth consumption, surprisingly enough, is text (64%). I've enabled compression for those whose browsers support it (most users), and will be performing more optimizations as we go along.

For those interested, picture attachments currently account for 21% of our transfer.
    _Aaron_

"user cp". You'll see that toward the top of the page you're viewing right now. Once there, on the left side, you'll see "Edit Avatar"??? none of that is visilbe on my page - this is the most difficult board I have ever tryed to use in the 40 yrs I have been using pc's

At the top of the page, click settings.
    It should be self explanatory from there.

Quote Originally Posted by kim herrick View Post
    "user cp". You'll see that toward the top of the page you're viewing right now. Once there, on the left side, you'll see "Edit Avatar"??? none of that is visilbe on my page - this is the most difficult board I have ever tryed to use in the 40 yrs I have been using pc's
    This thread was created in 2005. The software was different back then. Click on "Settings" at the top, right side of the page for the software in use now.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...