Thread: Turned Items Used in the Media

Turned Items Used in the Media

For the most part I only watch PBS, have a cable modem but not cable TV. I'm noticing, more and more, wooden bowls and decorations in the background or in use. Watching The Victory Garden and in the cooking segment, he uses wooden bowls entirely; they don't look like mass production junk either. One of the other cooking shows, some guy named Bayless, in the back ground in his kitchen is a big NE bowl with carved feet. Anyone else notice things like that?
    Last edited by Nate Davey; 04-14-2012 at 3:59 PM.
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

Nate, I don't watch a lot of TV, but that is a good sign!! Hopefully, a harbinger of things to come for those of us that may want to market our work.

NBC's Today Show has what appears to be a natural edged bowl behind the sofa where all the anchors sit together. It has what I think might be balls of yarn in it. That bowl has been part of the set for several years.

I recently watch a rerun of Gunsmoke that had what appeared to be a Maple and Walnut Bowl on the counter at Jonas' store. This episode was probably from the 50's.

A while back I was in one of the big local furniture stores and I saw a beautiful, large (maybe 18") natural edged bowl displayed on a coffee table. When I got close and picked it up, it was cast resin, with some other fake stuff in it. So I guess it shows that wood art is maybe getting more popular but like everything nowdays it's popularity leads to the cheap mass production.

Yeah Curt, I'm with ya... I was in the Old Sautee Store a couple weeks ago, and picked up a "wood" dough bowl complete with "made in China" stickers. bleah. That ruined the whole experience for me. I don't even want to go back in there. Couldn't they at least have a local artisan make those for them? Who would want a cast resin dough bowl anyway?
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Take a wooden one by with a "Made by Jim Underwood" sticker,
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck