Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Make a Family Room for the Whole Family

How to Make a Family Room for the Whole Family

The family room should be set up so that in the the evenings, the family actually hangs out together.
    These days, families are involved with quite a number of different activities.
    TV, video games, computer center(s), home office, library and additional storage were all accomplished with built in cabinetry so that there was a place to put everything away and have the room look good at the same time.

I really like this client because they wanted richly appointed built-ins but they loved the look of natural wood. Sometimes perfectly straight-grained ('select') boards and veneers do not look real / too perfect / like 'wood grain' formica.
    So we decided to use cherry but made sure to include some great looking imperfections, to make it a bit more hand made looking. I don't mean crude, just a little more authentic / made from wood.

I'm including my renderings so you can appreciate how our plans became realized.

Although labor intensive, rich details make a world of difference.

We've done many built-ins that are difficult to get a good picture of...
    ...and there are some that just seem made for it (though we removed some furniture so you could see the cabinetry).

With good design, craftsmanship and a great client... you can't go wrong.

My family has quite a number of projects on the web site's photo gallery. Videos as well. (click on my name above / link is there)

Russell Hudson / Hudson Cabinetmaking, Inc.

Superb craftsmanship.. well planned and executed...

Excellent work in design and execution.

Hi Russell,I agree with the others excellent work.Very nice design.Cherry is one of my favorite woods.

SaweeeeeeeeeT!

Very nice as always Russell, excellent craftsmanship and design
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Very nice!
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Outstanding!!! You just raised the bar way above my head. Thanks for sharing.

that's pretty incredible work, russell! do you have any photos on the installation process? would love to see just how many cabinets make up the larger units!

I like the beading on the corners, that is an original touch. Your renderings are Spartan yet clear and clean, are they freehand?

- Beachside Hank
    The use of nails in fine furniture is to be abhorred- drywall screws are preferred.

very nice.

Well, I dunno, I guess it is okay . . .. but I don't remeber seeing anything like this at IKEA?

Just being a smarta$$; sorry, couldn't help myself; late in the week and punchy.

Russ, AFG = absolutely gorgeous! Personally, I LOVE cherry and am glad to see someone else that likes a little natural or rustic touch to it. LOVE the whole thing!

Agreed on realy liking the quirk bead along the corners, but wonder (just asking, in NO way criticizing) your thoughts about not stopping it short of the desk surface (rail height or so, like at the top) and then restarting on the lower section. Just asking, and i am the first to admit i am design challenged!

What finish and how many coats??

Two piece crown or all one??

Nicely done sir.

Just.....WOW!!! Absolutely beautiful. My wife is of the same mindset...some well-placed imperfections in the wood simply add to the overall character of the piece. I tend to agree! I'll be borrowing a few ideas for my OWN future built-in project!

- Keith
    "Listen, here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker. "

While I like the woodwork and style, I also love the premise of the design.

Office, entertainment center, library, living room spaces blended gracefully. It reflects how we live in modern life, rather than holding on to old house design ideas.

Very well done. Great choice of material. It's great to have a customer that wants wood that looks like wood. I'm working on a hickory staircase now and the customer wants only nutty brown, clear heart wood, why would you pick hickory then? Anyway, beautiful job.
    Richard