Thread: Vacuum Chucks

Vacuum Chucks

Hi Gang,
    This forum has shown a lot of interest in vacuum chucks over time. I have seen references to my article on vacuum systems in the February, 2011, issue of the American Woodturner. This note is to give you advance notice that I have another article scheduled for the June 2012 issue of the AW. It describes an advance I have developed using a 'Compliant Vacuum Chucking System'. I describe how to mount almost anything on the lathe with few limitations of surface texture or shape, wood leakage or voids. In short I have broken many of the barriers to vacuum chucking. Yes, there are a few limitations due to size and overall shape of the turning. I have more articles planed on vacuum chucking systems that should answer many of the other questions I have seen. I will be able to back up my assertions with data. I have answers to questions like 'What size vacuum pump should I buy?, and others.
    John Giem

Hey John, I do look forward to this article since we last spoke and you mentioned it was in the works. Sounds compelling, at the least!
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

I'd love to read that article.
    I drink, therefore I am.

I'm in...with a coring purchase in the future, a vac chuck will make life easier...IMHO only!!!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

I look forward to the article

Bob

I'm in. I would like to read that article.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

me too. Sorry, I don't subscribe to the mag/aaw.

Can you answer this? what seal material are you having success with for a home made chuck. Foam, Rubber, Large O-rings, ????

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Elliott View Post
    me too. Sorry, I don't subscribe to the mag/aaw.

Can you answer this? what seal material are you having success with for a home made chuck. Foam, Rubber, Large O-rings, ????
    I use a thin sticky back craft foam from Hobby Lobby. I have also found that this foam can be used on large chucks by overlapping joints by about 1/32". Large overlaps do not work because they do not compress well and leak.

John Giem