Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Got my new laser today!

John,
    In lasercut 5.3 the 10th icon from the bottom on the left looks like a peghole for a hanging product. That allows for an outline of your drawing either inside or out. I would screen shot it for you but I am running lasercut 5.3 on XP which doesn't offer screenshot.

Tip:Make sure you select the drawing first, then the icon can be selected. The out line will be in a different color so make sure you "de-select" the original color when cutting so it doesn't cut both!
    Daniel Wolanski
    President / Mag-Knight Die Cutting

FAL-F90120S, two heads, 100W each (Lasercut 5.3)
    Copam 3050 vinyl cutter
    US Cutter MH871
    Associated Pacific Machine (APM) 30, 60 & 80 Ton Presses
    DeltaCad
    Corel X4 / X6

I have a setting 'inner to outer' which is ticked. If I do a 30mm square it is cut to 29.72x 27.79 on the X and Y.

With it unticked I get 29.72 square. This tells me that the setting did not change and the the second cut was just a better one than the first.

I went in to machine options and unticked it. It asked me for a password, I just cliked ok. I didn't do anything else expecting that it would be used when I downloaded the file.

Thanks Daniel, I will check it out! PS, in XP print screen captures the desktop to the clipboard.

Every time you make a change you need to re-send it to the laser. Hit "download" then in the pop-up "download current". The rabbit laser site has some very good tutorials. http://www.rabbitlaserusa.com/ Try a huge 2mm difference and see how that works.
    Daniel Wolanski

Copam 3050 vinyl cutter
    US Cutter MH871
    DeltaCad
    Corel X4 / X6

Hi Daniel, I did re download each time expecting that was the way to get the changes to the machine. No change seen though..

My wife just flooded my workshop by turning on a washing machine and not checking the plug was in the sink. After I clean up a bit I will do it again to ensure I was downloading each time.

Thanks,
    Jason

Hi Daniel, Is it the 'download CFG' button that I need to press? I have not wanted to because I am not sure if what is in the laser from the factory is the same as the settings in lasercut. I didnt want to possibly overwrite everything and have no way to get back.

I havent yet found out how to export the settings currently in the machine.

lasercut 5.3.JPG
    The "download cfg" button is if you make any changes to the configuration of the machine like bed size, acceleration, etc. My machine has two heads and it came with settings showing only half the bed size. I am only using one head for now so I went in and changed the bed size to match my full size of machine.

You want hit the download, then "download current" button. I pulled this from the rabbit laser site. Some really good stuff there to get you up and running in the tutorials.
    Daniel Wolanski

Copam 3050 vinyl cutter
    US Cutter MH871
    DeltaCad
    Corel X4 / X6

Some interesting stuff happening, I dont know what it is.

I am definitely doing as you describe, I did it the first time and I just checked by doing it again and I get the same results.

Whats strange is with it ticked I get almost a square, one side is ~ 0.06mm smaller than the other, which I can repeat with the same results.

Without that option checked it is square but still undersized by about 0.2mm.

When using my router I put in the size of the cutter I am using so that when cutting it offsets the correct amount to cut on the line, not inside it. Surely there is something similar as sizes would be different should it not be configurable rather than a tick mark which does cannot take different spot sizes in to account?

Also, I cut another 50mm square to check it was not the step size for the motors. It's not because it was around 49.8mm, the .2mm short as was the smaller square.

Actually, contrary to my previous post, there is some accumulative error. As I go to 100mm I loose 0.1mm on both sides. So, I will have to figure out the screen that had pulses for the motors. I imagine it's the same/similar to setting up my router.

Quote Originally Posted by jason harris View Post
    Actually, contrary to my previous post, there is some accumulative error. As I go to 100mm I loose 0.1mm on both sides. So, I will have to figure out the screen that had pulses for the motors. I imagine it's the same/similar to setting up my router.

The software allows you to input the amount of the offset. Change the values in the pop-up window instead of using the defaults and you should see a result.
    Daniel Wolanski

Copam 3050 vinyl cutter
    US Cutter MH871
    DeltaCad
    Corel X4 / X6

Does this give a 3d effect? Normally 3d means you use the grayscale information in a bitmap to vary laser power. Experienced users of Lasercut 5.3 said they couldn't do this on another forum, so if they can they'll want to know, but I'm not sure if you're talking about something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Wolanski View Post
    John,
    In lasercut 5.3 the 10th icon from the bottom on the left looks like a peghole for a hanging product. That allows for an outline of your drawing either inside or out. I would screen shot it for you but I am running lasercut 5.3 on XP which doesn't offer screenshot.

Tip:Make sure you select the drawing first, then the icon can be selected. The out line will be in a different color so make sure you "de-select" the original color when cutting so it doesn't cut both!
    Shenhui 1280 100W RECI

Hi John,
    The button I was reffering to is how to adjust for the kerf of the laser. I do mainly vector cutting with my laser and not much engraving. I suspect there are folks here that know a lot more than I regarding complex engraving using lasercut 5.3 but I don't think it can be easily done.
    Daniel Wolanski

Copam 3050 vinyl cutter
    US Cutter MH871
    DeltaCad
    Corel X4 / X6

Jason, that looks super nice...

What are you going to primarily use it for?

Can you engrave Head Stones for graves with pictures, etc.?

Hi, Jason,

This is Melody. Glad to work with you and find your post here. I will start my sawmill life now. LoL

Melody

Welcome to Sawmill Creek. I am assuming you have some connection with a laser manufacturer. If so, please indicate that in your signature. If not, we are still glad to have you as a new member.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7