Thread: OSB Board

Blog Entries

OSB Board

I am working on a customer project that requires a clear coat finish applied to OSB board. Im planning on using poly but I'm fairly sure the OSB will soak it up.
    I'm wondering if I should apply a sealer coat of shellac or go another route. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks
    Ernie
    Precision Laser Engraving
    Corel X4 60W Laser
    Stinger II 4x4 w/recoil
    Aspire

I drive my architect crazy by calling it disoriented strand board? Is this for indoors? If so, how about hitting it with a little MinWax conditioner first (assuming you're using an oil-based poly).

Ron question is critical. What is it and how will it be used?

Winwax conditioner will only give the poly more trouble sticking than it already has on its own.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Blog Entries
    The project is indoors; basically Im mounting a hardwood plaque to the osb board. I plan on using oil based poly unless there is a better alternative.
    Thank you

OSB is not particularly more absorbent than solid wood. I just built some platforms for a stage production and coated them with flat black waterbased paint. There was no problem with application.

Just roll or brush the poly on and you will be fine.
    Howie.........