Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tiger Maple & Cherry Hall Table

Tiger Maple & Cherry Hall Table

I've never actually used tiger maple as a primary wood in a project, which is weird because it is my favorite figured wood! I've been wanting to replace a small table in our front hall for some time now. When I saw the plans for this table on my Woodsmith DVD, I knew I found the project. The overall dimensions are 45"x15"x28", which make it perfect for its use in our hall. I wish my photography skills were to the point that you can really get an idea of how clear and deep the finish turned out...

Table1.jpg

Not only was this the first time I've used a figured wood such as this, but its the first time I've had to hand-shape a component for a project. The legs splay out just enough to give it a more elegant look. It's final placement is going to darken the cherry pretty quickly...

Table2.jpg

I absolutely LOVE the striping!!!

Table3.jpg

To achieve the finish, I first wiped on a heavy coat of Transtint/alcohol, dark maple was the "flavor". I used sanded it down with 320, then wiped on a coat of BLO. I wasn't originally going to go with this step, but I'm glad I did. It really made the cherry pop. I then wiped on dewaxed shellac, followed by four coats off General's gloss Arm-R-Seal. A coat of paste wax later, and here we are...

Table4.jpg Table5.jpg

I really took my time on this project, and I'm pretty happy with the end results. Thanks for looking!

- Keith
    "Listen, here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker. "

Nice work.
    Richard

Very pretty Keith! It has a "light" or "delicate" feeling to it.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Thanks, guys!
    "Listen, here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker. "

Very nice.

If it sees shadows like that a lot rotate it very frequently!

Good job Keith!!! I like it. So, how long?

Very nice Keith. I really like the the overall design and look of the table. Nice legs and the top panel really pops!

Excellent job!

Jim

Very impressive!

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch View Post
    Good job Keith!!! I like it. So, how long?
    You mean, how long did it take to complete? Chops-busting aside ( ), I've got about 18 hours into it. I had to re-do the frame that wraps around the top maple panel. The underside of that frame has a deep cove on it that was to be milled at the table saw. I really wasn't happy with my first effort, so I scrapped it and tried again. Glad I did! Much better the second time around.

Nice looking piece. What method did you use in the construction of the top? Is the center panel floating in the frame? Just asking because I would be concerned about wood movement separating the mitered frame.

Beautiful project !! Looks good
    MARK

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Leigh View Post
    Nice looking piece. What method did you use in the construction of the top? Is the center panel floating in the frame? Just asking because I would be concerned about wood movement separating the mitered frame.
    The top panel is indeed floating in the frame.

Thanks!

Very nice. Elegant.

Paul

"_________ outstanding"
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That is gorgeous. Great work.