Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking to purchase a Powermatic 66

Looking to purchase a Powermatic 66

I am wanting to buy good cabinet saw, like most I have limited funds. I found an older 66 with a green cabinet. What are some of the important things to look for? He is asking 1250 that seems a little high to me. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/tls/2888724772.html

A new one like that would cost around $3K so the used prices have risen in the past few years.

I purchased a similar green Powermatic 66 several years ago when the economy was still good. I paid far less than than $1,250 and I didn't think that I got that great of a deal (remember, the economy was still good at that time). I am sure that the various tables have some value but the asking price seems a little high to me. Try offering him $1,000. The worst that he can say is "No".
    Last edited by Bill Rogers; 04-04-2012 at 8:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Hammond View Post
    I am wanting to buy good cabinet saw, like most I have limited funds. I found an older 66 with a green cabinet. What are some of the important things to look for? He is asking 1250 that seems a little high to me. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/tls/2888724772.html
    I talked to that seller about that exact saw more than a month ago at the same price. I bought a Unisaw instead. That saw has been used by someone who doesn't place much interest in taking care of his tools. Don't walk away from that one, run. In the ad, he even states, "Looks a bit beat, but can still do the job. It's a Powermatic!" Be patient and wait. It took me several months to get a good saw. Originally I was set on a Powermatic but ended with a Unisaw. Are you stuck on finding one in the Indianapolis area or are you willing to drive up to about 100 miles to get a good saw? That opens many more possibilities.

If you have the room don't be afraid of the PM 72 or Rockwell 12-14. Bigger table but can be found with single phase or run with vfd. Because most hobby guys want the smaller saws these are the best bargains. Dave

When I was in college, (IA major), guys stood in line to use the Oliver, and they had a Powermatic as a second saw. You could always get that one.

$1250 is high IMO, but it does say "$1250 or best offer"...
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    When I was in college, (IA major), guys stood in line to use the Oliver, and they had a Powermatic as a second saw. You could always get that one.
    In those days the big PM and Delta-Rockwell were second tier to the Oliver, Tanny,etc. From a step down to a step up. Dave

There is a 72 in the NMI Craigslist.

http://nmi.craigslist.org/tls/2912002543.html

I have an older 66, nice saw.

Larry

The older 66's are nice saws and still command a much better price than the Unisaw...justifiably so in my opinion anyway. The problem with asking advice on pricing is it can be such a personal thing. Some guys don't feel it's a "good" price unless it's well under market value. I think in good running condition with a decent fence a Powermatic 66 is well worth $1250. When I went pro with my shop about 10 years or so ago you couldn't touch one of these for less than $1500. However it seems they have not been selling like they used to and so I would also recommend trying to get closer to the $900 - $1000 range. That doesn't mean you would necessarily overpay at $1250, just that you didn't get as good a deal. Of course this all comes down to condition which nobody here knows, and without knowing condition????

The bigger saws have many benefits....but also several drawbacks for a small home shop. I wouldn't recommend for or against them, but would advise researching a bit before choosing that route

good luck,
    jeffD

While Rich has spoken to the owner and offers good information you really need to go see it if your interested. The saw does have a few good things like a Bies fence (300.00 value), single phase motor (400.00 value) and motor cover (harder to find).

The PMs are pretty simple machines. You need to check to see the flatness of the table and if theres any pitting that would affect the wood from sliding across. Check to see the trunnions are not broken or worn or any other part that have big time wear and tear or broken. Raise the blade up and down and tilt the blade. It should be fairly smooth and no teeth should be missing. Check for any broken parts and make sure the arbor is true with no blade wobble (granted its a good blade).

If you buy it plan on a complete teardown, new paint, new arbor and motor bearings (if the motor needs it), new belts. Once you do this the saw will be as good as new.

As for price, 1000.00 would be reasonable, but if you go see it and it needs some work you may be able to get it lower.
    Don

I want to thank you all for your advice. I am still looking, I have been working alot of hours so its tough right now.

I paid $650 for a gold 66 in similar shape. The fence wants new faces and the whole thing needs a paint job and perhaps arbor bearings. Might as well while I'm in there.

I also paid $500 for a 72 in better shape, although it does want new fence faces. That was a bargain for the saw, but it's a 7.5HP 3ph motor, so I needed an RPC. That pushed it up a bit. However, nothing like as high as this guy wants for the 66. I'd push for the 72 that Larry pointed out. I wouldn't have bought the 66 if I'd got the 72 first.

I have a gold 66 I bought in the early 90's. I like it a lot. One thing does bug the heck out of me. I can't add a riving knife. I'm going to cut out a splitter using the Shark Guard patterns available on the Shark Guard website and install it. I probably won't, but if I ever upgrade to another saw, it will have a riving knife.

I have seen a few unisaws. Such as the two below seem high priced. The first link does have a few accessories, For $100 more I can have a grizzley G1023RLX delivered. Is the quality of a unisaw better than the grizzley? I am hobbiest and price range is really closer to the grand mark. I could spring another $500 although very painful and tough, if I was getting something that is acurate and will last.
    http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/tls/2958436528.html

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/tls/2922973927.html