Thread: What's up with the Akeda jig?

What's up with the Akeda jig?

Does anybody have a credible explanation as to why Akeda is not able to manufacture and ship their jigs?

I understand that they had a mysterious "factory fire" (that was apparently not reported in any newspapers) some ten years ago. And that they have shipped some jigs since then.

If you call the number on their web site, you wind up speaking with the owner and designer, Kevan, in person. But all he will say is that they are not available at this time and that they "may" be doing a production run again at an unspecified time in the future.... Call the jig store and get on the reservation list. So I called them and although everyone is polite as can be, they would not answer the following direct questions...

When was the last time you shipped jigs?

When is your next scheduled production run?

Has anyone on the creek actually purchased an Akeda Jig in say, the last year?

Though I'd prefer factual data points.... I love to speculate as much as the next guy.

Apparently the guy who designed the Akeda jig ran a product design company and actually detailed the original Leigh Dovetail Jig. Then some years later, came up with his own design and brought it to market.

My best guess is that Leigh sued him and effectively killed the competing product.

Trend was selling the metric version of the Akeda jig in the UK, but it's no longer listed on their web site either.
    Last edited by Matt McColley; 04-02-2012 at 3:54 PM.

I contacted Trend, and they actually do have the DC 400... and with the required attachment kit, it only runs 500 GBP.

With the exchange rate, that only tallies up to $800 + S&H.

The fire was real--I remember there being news about it back then.

But why wait? Just move on and buy from someone who actually makes their product rather than promising to make them later. Leigh, Porter Cable, Rockler, etc, etc.

Just got a response from Trend...

Their agreement with Akeda prohibits them from shipping the DC 400 to North America.

So the jig works great and everyone who used it loves it.... even willing to pay a stiff price for it.... but they can't/won't produce it in the U.S. and the one outfit that has been licensed to make it, and has it for sale, is prohibited from shipping it to the U.S.

The Akeda business model seems a bit bizzare to me... but it's there product and company to do with as they please.

Seems a shame, as so many really want to be their customers... but are prohibited from doing so.

I was fortunate to get one of the large BC jigs just before they started their new guideline. I have the smaller one as well and it's a shame they don't ship these anymore because they really work well once you get the hang of using them.

PS: I guess I better take real good care of the bits and inserts since I can't get anymore of them.
    Last edited by Ray Scheller; 04-03-2012 at 3:08 PM.
    Ray Scheller

Change is inevitable except from vending machines.

6. I've just contacted them - same story as of Feb 2013. Did anyone actually receive one of these in 2012?

There's one for sale (unused) on E*** for $280.

Ron

What is/was the price of a new Akeda jig?

If Trend says they have an agreement not to sell/ship the jig to the US, and they aren't available from any vendors locally, I wouldn't be surprised that there's some issue with patents or other legal stuff.

I think it's just a production problem. I heard he took a stab at having it made in China but apparently that didn't work out. That jig is a bunch of unique aluminum and plastic extrusions & castings and it takes serious coin to produce it to the tight tolerances needed for it to work as promised.

If his "factory" was uninsured it's not likely he will ever get up the capital to produce again. These days he seems content (or resigned) to designing for a living. Pencils are cheap

I picked up a used 16" one recently and was looking to pick up some accesories. I contacted The Jig Store and they had all the accesories I wanted. Funny part is they would only accept a money order and it had to be made out to Kevan Lear. To my understanding he is the inventor of the jig. Seemed a little weird to me.

Sounds like he could work out something with Bridgecity for limited production runs. If it was worth Bridgecities time/effort.

I have the 16" jig and like it but----
    I truly believe Kevan should remove the website. Continuing to promote a product that has been unavailable for several years and providing absolutely no updated information all that time is unforgivable in this world.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Maloney View Post
    I picked up a used 16" one recently and was looking to pick up some accesories. I contacted The Jig Store and they had all the accesories I wanted. Funny part is they would only accept a money order and it had to be made out to Kevan Lear. To my understanding he is the inventor of the jig. Seemed a little weird to me.
    I bet if you were to "follow the money" you'd find The Jig Store is a Lear family project.

Does anyone know of someone who 3d prints parts for Akeda dovetail jigs. They are no longer available from the manufacturer and it would seem to me that they would be in need to those of us who are in need of some replacements.
    shouldn’t be to hard for a good drafting guru, of which I am not.

Gary Riecke