Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fonts good for welding ?

Fonts good for welding ?

Hi all, this might sound strange but anyone have a list or just your favorite fonts that work great for welding together then to cut out ? I normally use Arial Black Bold and that works good but more varieties would be swell........

Thanks in advance !

This might not be what you want but I found it interesting. look up the scrollsawworkshop blog there are a couple of free programs that let you type text and it welds the letters together with a bar. I just cut and paste the result into Corel and laser out the piece. Some of the programs are for desk names others for keychains it might give you some ideas.

ernie
    Rabbit 1290 80W RECI
    Shopbot PRS Alpha
    Aspire, Corel, Signlab, and many more
    Gerber Edge and 2 vinyl cutters
    plus a shop full of woodworking and metalworking machines

Ernie get curve works to create all the cuts in the intersections and then use removeUnderlyingDups.gms removes the duplicate lines. The fonts we use are Arial Bold all Caps, ShowCard Gothic all caps and Magneto for the scripts upper lower case. We do custom key chains all day long. Good luck
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    45 watt Epilog Laser, 60 watt Epilog Laser,
    Plasma Cutter, MiG Welder
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe
    Shop Smith V510, To many hand Tools and
    Universal Repair Kit (1- Hammer and 1- Roll of Duck Tape)

Craig, Curve works looks interesting, I remember looking at it back in the days of Corel 8. I have several other programs with most of these features that I routinely use, but it requires me to move from package to package.

Apparently Curve works puts everything into a single program. I will give it a try, I have a large number of logos to cleanup and vectorize this week so the timing is good.

ernie
    Rabbit 1290 80W RECI
    Shopbot PRS Alpha

Ernie,
    Note that Curve works requires Corel Designer also. That's a $1000.00 program!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Balch View Post
    Craig, Curve works looks interesting, I remember looking at it back in the days of Corel 8. I have several other programs with most of these features that I routinely use, but it requires me to move from package to package.

Apparently Curve works puts everything into a single program. I will give it a try, I have a large number of logos to cleanup and vectorize this week so the timing is good.

ernie
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Kacey and Ernie and anyone else that needs to do this, try this one
    http://www.laserjumpstart.com/art-welder/

works as a macro in Corel Draw and a lot less than the above. You can use a lot more fonts. No worries about duplicate lines either.
    Have a Blessed day,

Michael Kowalczyk

Laser-Trotec Speedy II 60 watt with 9.4.2 job control and will soon upgrade to JC X
    Corel Draw Suite X6, FlexiSign Pro 8.62, AI CS3 and Lasertype6

CNC Routers-Thermwood model C40 with 4th axis. Thermwood Model 42 with dual tables and dual spindles with ATC for high production runs,
    ArtcamPro 2010_SP4, EnroutePro 5.1, BobCad v21 & v24, Aspire v8 and Rhino 5.
    FOTC link
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/friends.php?cp=210&lp=0&t=0&q=

I don't have Corel design, maybe thats why I could not get a couple of the features to work in Curve works. In any case I wound up going to current favorite, Aspire 3, for my vectorizing and node editing. I had about a dozen logos to scan and vectorize prior to output as screen printing positives.

I watched the videos on art-welder but I was more interested in the "box it" program. I liked the 3D pieces. Some of those designs make my head hurt to think about doing the layout.

ernie
    Rabbit 1290 80W RECI
    Shopbot PRS Alpha

I must be missing something. It seems to me that all this can be done in CorelDraw.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    I must be missing something. It seems to me that all this can be done in CorelDraw.
    It can. I make wood monograms, which require a good bit of manipulation and welding. If I need to thicken the lines up I convert to curves and add an outline with the Contour tool. I use Commercial Script BT for some. Just for plain cut flat letters I normally use Arial Bold.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Hey Mike,
    Yes you can but if you are doing lots of different text/names with the ability to do many different fonts at the press of a few keys, is much easier than trying to repeat a certain format and do "What ifs". Like typing a name once and having several different versions in a matter of seconds instead of minutes or longer. Time is money and one or a few fonts do not fit every occasion. Some times Macros are worth it and sometimes their not. Doe anyone feel like a nut now!!!
    Have a Blessed day,

Michael Kowalczyk

Laser-Trotec Speedy II 60 watt with 9.4.2 job control and will soon upgrade to JC X
    Corel Draw Suite X6, FlexiSign Pro 8.62, AI CS3 and Lasertype6

CNC Routers-Thermwood model C40 with 4th axis. Thermwood Model 42 with dual tables and dual spindles with ATC for high production runs,
    ArtcamPro 2010_SP4, EnroutePro 5.1, BobCad v21 & v24, Aspire v8 and Rhino 5.
    FOTC link
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/friends.php?cp=210&lp=0&t=0&q=

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    I agree with Mike but I'll add this if you've got a font (or fonts) that you like but it needs to be thicker, then a little time spent of creating creating a new font based on the original will be worth the effort. There's a few good tutorials out there for creating TTF fonts and from memory there's even a help topic on Font Creation in Corel's help files. The advantage is once you have it, it's ready to use just type & weld!. Granted it takes a bit of time to create fonts but if you are using it all the time, then the time invested should be worth it.

Yes, time is money, but all too often we tend to waste time looking for so called alternate solutions and or trying to learn new software when the answer is right there.
    I'm Back.... & Currently Using a 500 x 300 50w C02 Shenhui Laser
    with Corel Draw X5, RdWorks Ver8, Adobe Master Collection CS5, Ratsus Plugin for PhotoShop instead of Photograv.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bratton View Post
    Ernie,
    Note that Curve works requires Corel Designer also. That's a $1000.00 program!
    Larry I am not sure what you are talking about but I run curve works macros all day long on x5 maybe a different curve works?
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kowalczyk View Post
    Kacey and Ernie and anyone else that needs to do this, try this one
    http://www.laserjumpstart.com/art-welder/

works as a macro in Corel Draw and a lot less than the above. You can use a lot more fonts. No worries about duplicate lines either.
    Mike I own Art Welder love it for certain things but when welding letters it drop off the inner lines by using curve works you locate and cuAttachment 228643t all intersections and then run remove duplicates (free macro) delete the line you do not want change the others to different color done.curve works - artwelder.cdr
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe

@ Craig

Again why can't you do this in Corel ??? Type the text, Choose/Change the font. Select the Shape Tool & Adjust the Kerning, then select the Weld tool & click on the text and you are done. Or am I and others missing something???

Corel_Weld_Text.cdr
    I'm Back.... & Currently Using a 500 x 300 50w C02 Shenhui Laser
    with Corel Draw X5, RdWorks Ver8, Adobe Master Collection CS5, Ratsus Plugin for PhotoShop instead of Photograv.

To answer Kasey's original question, Cooper works, as well as several from the Sign DNA Font Foundry.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."