Thread: Where do you get your Bethlehem Olive Wood

Where do you get your Bethlehem Olive Wood

Hi all. I wanted to pick up some of the Bethlehem Olive Wood for some pens and some light flat wood projects. I tried one source and had all kinds of issues with getting a product and the larger blanks I finally received could not be used for turnings at all. Wondering if anyone has a source that they'd recommend for getting genuine "Bethlehem Olive Wood" blanks. I need some blanks up to 1-1/2" square, 12-18" in length. I'm not out to bash my bad supplier and have no intention of revealing which company I dealt with. Just wanting to find some recommendations for a good source.

Thanks, Clint

Ummm... Bethlehem?
    David DeCristoforo

I've have very good success here: http://www.bethlehemolivewood.net/.1...e_id=olivetree

Takes some planning (timewise) but good products .. they have a distribution center in Texas -- and an 800 number

Word of caution Clint;
    Under Jerusalem law, olive trees can't be cut down. Only fallen trees and pruning's can be used for sale. As you may guess, BOW of size may be a little hard to find. About 7-9 years ago, there were several dozen pallet loads of California olive wood shipped to Israel. Now it's BOW because that's where it was re-shipped from.
    Instantly, a few thousand dollars of COW is now a few million worth of BOW. Although most suppliers issue a Certificate of Authenticity...sometimes those are suspect as well.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    Ummm... Bethlehem?
    Beat me to it, David, and identical sarcasm only works once!
    John Altberg

Same as the others, http://www.bethlehemolivewood.net, and try and talk to Darwish if you can. He's very nice and funny too boot.
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

Ken,
    Try Mannie. I know that he has the pen blanks & he may or may not have the other. If not, he will probably know when to get the larger blanks.
    Sam
    www.woodenwonderstx.com
    l
    SAM

Quote Originally Posted by sam upton View Post
    Ken,
    Try Mannie. I know that he has the pen blanks & he may or may not have the other. If not, he will probably know when to get the larger blanks.
    Sam
    www.woodenwonderstx.com
    l
    +1 for Mannie if you want BOW. Honestly, I think the stuff from California is nicer looking and cheaper to boot!

Thanks for the posts. My client would like the authentic wood, (or at least the wood that has the certificate of authenticity). As such, we're talking BOW. I did receive some very nice pen blanks when I ordered, but the larger pieces were the issue. I feel safe in that I received pruned wood, (the one blank is obviously a small branch that has wane on all four corners and pith throughout the center. A second has pith at the end that exits midway down the blank. A lot of wane on that one as well. The third had deep checks on multiple sides that I'll probable fill and use as best I can. The items were shipped from Jerusalem, so I am can assure my customer that the wood came from there.

Clint