Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cermark on Aluminum - Having Issues

Question Cermark on Aluminum - Having Issues

I'm burning aluminum tags used in marking cables using Cermark and my marking isn't staying on at all anymore. When I rinse the tags the markings come completely off, or they stay on through the rinse and end up rubbing off afterwards.

I've cleaned my whole machine, lenses, insides, etc.
    I've cleaned the tags with alcohol to make sure all oils and stuff are off before I coat them.
    My coating is a nice even spray (We use the aerosol cans here).

I'm to the point where I am going to contact a manufacturer, but I'm not sure if its a Cermark probelm or an Epilog problem.

The laser is about 4 years old, though it hasn't gotten heavy use at all. It maybe has 6 months to a year's worth of use, it still looks like a brand new machine. Do the tubes wear out that quickly?

We're a paint shop so the laser is definately not one of our main production assets, thus it barely gets used. Matter of fact I am the only operator of it and it is only a small portion of the work I do.

Help? I need some advice.

Thanks everyone!

Edit: Forgot to add, I'm using a 75 watt laser and my current settings (After doing a test run) are 10% speed 100% power.
    Gerber Composer, Omega, & Edge
    Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop
    --------------------------------
    Previously: Epilog Legend EXT 75W

Amanda,

That's interesting, you say you've been making marks on these aluminum tags at those settings and it's worked before in the past?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Stephen Rozwood
    Technical Service Representative
    CerMark Laser Marking Products
    Ferro Corporation
    724-223-5990

I've had issues in the past where the aluminum was coated and adhesion was spotty.. could be that.
    I know when I run stainless tags with Dry Molly as a compound I have to keep the speed @ 7 and power @ 100
    ULS V460 Photograv Corel4 Compucarve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozwood View Post
    Amanda,

That's interesting, you say you've been making marks on these aluminum tags at those settings and it's worked before in the past?
    Steve,

Yes, I've had decent results at that speed and power, however not recently. The results recently are very spotty. Sometimes I'll have a few tags out of a few hundred that won't rub off, but the rest do.

I don't think the tags are coated, but I'm not sure how to tell. I've even taken some scotch brite to them before coating, then cleaned with alcohol before spraying and those wiped off as well.

Blog Entries
    Amanda... I would suggest measuring the output of your laser. It could be coated aluminum, but what you're talking about suggests reduced power to me. I know you've been working with the machine long enough to know how to use it.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I stopped doing aluminum tags with Cermark for the same reason. I doubt that it's a laser or material problem but that the process is too unreliable for thin aluminum tags. I have switched my customers to stainless steel or to anodized aluminum.

If you're buying bulk tags from McMaster Carr they are not coated and I doubt that your tags are coated as there would seem to be no reason for it.

A power loss would show itself in cutting and the curve is rather sharp--in other words it won't be long before it becomes extremely noticeable.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 03-29-2012 at 11:02 AM.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

So what would be a good way to measure the output?

Though I've been operating the laser for a number of years, unfortunately it's not a consistant operation and I'm left with very little time to actually play, research, and troubleshoot now. The only reason I am able to do that even now is the tags are needed to make production for another area and my area is slow on work at the moment.

They're actually taking my machine away and moving it to another building soon. (against my better judgement, maybe they'll take me with it, but it's not looking good)

Management changed and doesn't want to deal with the "extra work" the laser creates I guess. I can't wait for the day when I can get my own machine.

Amanda, If you give me the lot number I can check the LMM-6000 and test it here on our epilog to see if I have any issues. I have some 3003 Aluminum tags I can make some trials on. Do you have a way to check the output of your laser?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Stephen Rozwood
    Ferro Corporation
    724-223-5990

Sorry I must have been posting at the same time you were. We frequnetly use a laser watt meter to ensure the quality of or lasers for testing. I think some people call it a "laser puck" or something like that...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Stephen Rozwood
    Ferro Corporation
    724-223-5990

No problem Steve, we probably were typing at the same time.

As far as measuring output with any sort of calibration/measurement equipment, if I don't already have it, I'm not going to get it because of the issue of my section not going to have the laser for much longer. (How long I don't know, could be a couple of weeks, could be a couple of months. They're not telling me much.) The only thing I do know is that I am not allowed to order anything new for the machine. I was going to try the HI-Stick Cermark and my request was denied.

I apologize if I seem to be asking questions I should know. I just haven't had to deal with this stuff until an issue arises.

Is the Lot number stamped on the bottom of the can? If so I am using 230811 1044 and we have 1045 in our cabinet, but I haven't used it yet. Right now we have a 3rd party supplier so we(the shop) don't order the material directly. (Welcome to Govt. work.)

I'm heading out for the day, my shift is over. I will get responses, etc tomorrow morning when I get in. Thank you very VERY much for your responses and your help. -I- appreciate it on a personal and professional level.

Sorry to hear that Amanda, maybe if we find out the issues your facing they might reconsider keeping the laser, it's worth a shot? I see from your profile that you're located within driving distance from us. If you would like maybe I can pay you a visit and I can offer my professional assistance. I can also bring our laser watt meter so we can check the power output of your laser and maybe we can try and figure out what's going on. You can call me directly (724-223-5990), contact me through email if you wish rozwoods@ferro.com or we can stay in contact on this thread doesn't really matter to me.

Let me know, good luck!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Stephen Rozwood
    Ferro Corporation
    724-223-5990

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozwood View Post
    Sorry to hear that Amanda, maybe if we find out the issues your facing they might reconsider keeping the laser, it's worth a shot? I see from your profile that you're located within driving distance from us. If you would like maybe I can pay you a visit and I can offer my professional assistance. I can also bring our laser watt meter so we can check the power output of your laser and maybe we can try and figure out what's going on. You can call me directly (724-223-5990), contact me through email if you wish rozwoods@ferro.com or we can stay in contact on this thread doesn't really matter to me.

Let me know, good luck!

This is what I call SERVICE - so glad you are watching out for us, Steve, and thank you!
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

I'm sorry but I haven't properly introduced myself, I work with a small team at the Ferro corporation where we manufacture, distribute and service the CerMark laser marking materials. I figured you probably picked up on that from my signature but I should still and be a little professional. We're located just outside of Pittsburgh in the small town of Washington, PA and when we can, we like to frequently visit our customers out and try to help them out with any problems they're having. Let me know and I will try and schedule a visit either from me or one of our associates. Talk to you soon!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Stephen Rozwood
    Ferro Corporation
    724-223-5990

Thanks Dee, I got to remember to be professional sometimes. It's been a long day!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Stephen Rozwood
    Ferro Corporation
    724-223-5990

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Gallo View Post
    This is what I call SERVICE - so glad you are watching out for us, Steve, and thank you!
    Everyone I have ever communicated with at Ferro understands what service is all about. Steve's offer doesn't surprise me, it seems to be par for the course at Ferro. (He probably learned from Sean...)

Gary