Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My newest old tool

Great for screws, as you said. Also terrific with a countersink. I also like it for small holes (I have a few square-shank twist bits, but also with a 1/4" auger if the wood isn't too hard - I also use it a lot with a hex end bit of the pilot-hole countersink combo variety on the rare occasion I'm doing something with a lot of screws.) as I find I do better at keeping holes square and plumb with a brace than with an eggbeater.

I totally agree Joshua.

I don't have many braces, just one in each size, but they get more use than the egg beaters.

From left to right in brace sizes: 5" Stanley, 10" Spofford, 8" and 10" Yankees, and 12" Miller Falls.

The MF is particularly interesting. Similar to a Spofford but with bling!

My enjoyment in using these tools lead to building a couple of braces, both with a 4" throw (for screws). One I gave to a friend, the other I kept:

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Andrae Covington View Post
    As noted in my post above, I have the hex adapter from LV in this brace.
    Does the magnet in yours do a decent job holding bits in place? I don't remember if I got mine from LV or somewhere else, but mine seems to leave bits behind in the screw more than I'd like. Almost seems the magnet is recessed a little more than it should be. I could probably easily drop another tiny one in there and remedy the situation, but all my little magnets are busy holding packages of coping saw blades to the side of my toolbox . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Pierce View Post
    Does the magnet in yours do a decent job holding bits in place? I don't remember if I got mine from LV or somewhere else, but mine seems to leave bits behind in the screw more than I'd like. Almost seems the magnet is recessed a little more than it should be. I could probably easily drop another tiny one in there and remedy the situation, but all my little magnets are busy holding packages of coping saw blades to the side of my toolbox . . .
    Yeah now that you mention it, the magnet could be a little stronger. The bits don't fall out, but they do sometimes stick in the screw instead of staying with the brace.

Derek, I like the look of that early MF brace you have. I had forgotten the little wooden ones you made... with a presentation case and everything, nice. Did you consider steam bending to make the offset? I guess on a small brace the forces wouldn't be strong enough to compromise the short grain.

It appears that Derek's bling-y MF brace is a Rose Brace
    see here:http://oldtoolheaven.com/brace/FeaturedBraces.htm#Rose