Thread: Delta lathe repaired

Delta lathe repaired

My Delta 46-460 stopped working about a month ago. I brought the lathe to an authorized Delta service center. The technician identified the parts that had failed, and attempted to obtain the parts through the normal parts distribution channels. However, they were unable to. Apparently, when Delta was sold to the new owners, Black and Decker/Stanley retained the rights to provide the parts for a period of time after the sale,and with all the changeover, the parts were unavailable.

I then went to the retail distributor where I purchased the lathe. They ended up contacting Delta sales personnel at the new Delta company to see what could be done about this problem. I am extremely pleased to report that the Delta sales personnel were able to resolve the problem. I cannot thank the new Delta management enough for interceding. Although I have been woodturning for a little over two years, I have been ‘sucked into the vortex’ to the extent that I was going through withdrawal during this period of not being able to turn <smile>.

I hope this is an indication of the new Delta management’s desire to respond to the needs of the woodworking community. I know this effort will ensure that I continue to look at Delta for my future tool needs

Dave

Always good to hear positive customer service stories! As the economy does whatever it's going to do, retailers may be getting the clue that we can spend our $$ where the service is.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

3. Glad you were able to get your issues resolved Dave..........I have a Delta Sander which broke a belt a while back........I have been waiting for the new part for months now..............got an email from Mikestools that it is still on backorder........I think this is way too long for a piece of equipment to be out of service.

Delta had better get their act together..........I have heard of several folks unhappy because getting parts has been a major headache!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Dave- it would be of benefit to the rest of us 46-460 owners to hear what part(s) failed on your lathe.

I only waited a month to get a fwd reverse switch for my 46-460.
    Half way between the north pole and the equator!
    Half way between Steve Schlumpf and John Keeton!

Not to drop dung on your thread but I've been waiting since December for Delta belt sander part! Glad somebody is getting some help from them!

Biff

Make that two of us....

Jim

I had a friend who needed a belt for a Delta table saw. It was a special belt and was on back order for months. She contacted the belt manufacture and had the belt in less than a week.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Contacted Delta today after reading this last night in regards to my 46-460 which I bought in September 2010 and have had no problems until about 7 months ago when the quill came through the tail stock. No warranty on defective materials. Enough said no more Delta products for this turner.

Andrew I hear that is a common problem with them.What was your fix?
    Half way between the north pole and the equator!
    Half way between Steve Schlumpf and John Keeton!

Had to purchase new tailstock, quill, leadscrew. Had to have it to enjoy my retirement.

Afraid to say I'm another who has been waiting for over 2 months for a part. Yours is one of the rarer stories but I'm glad for you. Too bad they can't do the same for the rest of us.

Hi... I apologize for the delay in responding. I've been gone all week on business (my real job) and didn't check this thread.

Jamie, my forward/reverse switch went bad, and my motor's bushings were, according to the repair depot, worn out.

Roger, a suggestion. Have you gone back to the place you bought your belt sander? The repair depot was not able to get my parts (backordered), so I contacted the place where I bought my lathe (and bandsaw), and they contacted Delta directly.

I believe that much of these problems have to do with the changeover between Black and Decker/Stanley and the new owners of Delta. I hope that the parts issues goes away quickly as new Delta gears up!

Thanks for all of the responses.

Dave

I have 2 friends at our woodturners club that have the 46-460 and both are down right now. The switch goes out and they do not make them anymore. Not sure why this is the common problem but I think someone with Delta or (Black-n-Decker) needs to look into this problem. Mine hasn't had any problems yet and I hope it doesn't. They are having a hard time finding the parts.

I like Dave Kartzman had difficulty with off/on switch,forward/reverse switch and speed control I believe VFD. I finally made my way to the new Delta and was treated very well. Back up and running again.
    Thank you new Delta