Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheels for a lathe?

Blog Entries

Wheels for a lathe?

The new lathe comes assembled from what I understand. I was wondering if anyone has wheels on their lathe that lock solid and can handle a 1/2 a ton of weight and low profile.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Bill, there may be different options out there but this is the first one I thought of: Robust
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Bill, I went to Ace hdw and bought some inexpensive casters and made 2 dollys. Using leverage I mount the lathe (carefully) one end at a time onto the dollys. My Oneway weighs about 700 lb.

Blog Entries
    I'll give them a call to see if they can be adapted. I like the low profile of those.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Woodcraft has some heavy duty casters rated at 300lbs each.
    Steve \o/
    Dynamite With A Laser Beam LLC
    Epilog Helix 75W/Epilog Fusion Edge 80W and Jet 1642-EVS2

There are loads of casters available which can early support a 1000 lb lathe. Locking wheels on casters can also be done. You want to be able to balance your lathe. If your intention is to leave the lathe on the wheels all the time then you need some way to adjust the load on at least three of the four wheels. The bed of your lathe (any lathe) can twist if the load isn't well balanced. This usually leads to excess vibration and the tailstock not aligning with the headstock.

It is usually prudent to setup your lathe in a secure, stable and balanced position for woodturning. If you move the lathe the balancing procedure should be repeated. For this reason most large lathes are not moved frequently. Also because of this the mobile option is usually a temperay condition. The Robust solution is designed for the Robust lathe. Oneway has a mobility solution with is designed for Oneway lathes. For your lathe you may wish to ask one of the Powermatic lathe forums to see what other folks are doing with Powermatic lathes.
    The Large print givith
    and the fine print takith away

Bill, I have the locking heavy duty casters from Woodcraft. I am thankful for them, especially when it is shop cleanup time.
    SAM

Bill - you may want to look at a pallet jack for your needs. That big PM will want to be on the floor anyway.

JP

Bill,
    You might look at these:

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st...lock_roll?Args=

I put them on my new PM3520 and there great! I don’t know if they will handle a full 1K lbs or not.

I can see wheels for moving your lathe around the shop, but not for turning on. Wheels would have to be locked not only for rolling, but for pivoting. Just not stable enough. No problem finding wheels that will handle that type of load. Any big box store will have them.

robo hippy

I have seen some low pop casters that really only show about 1/2" when elevated for brief movement. We use them on anesthesia carts, but the are commercial wheels...our cart weight in at 400lb give or take and these are rated to about a ton...just because they are portable.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

I have these on my 17" band saw. I like them because you can level the unit after you get it into place. http://www.greatlakescaster.com/products.php?cat=262

I've seen several sets of removeable wheel set-ups for Powermatics, but can't give you a definite source, but they are available.

I had no trouble moving my 4224 on a 1000# capacity HF hydraulic cart whenever it needed to be moved. Now that there is a huge bed extension to deal with I'm not sure how it will move without taking it apart... maybe two hydraulic carts?

go to the mustard monster site they show several styles