Thread: spiral cutter heads

spiral cutter heads

Is there anyone who has regretted going to a spiral cutter head, if so why. Has any one having any problems with the screws holding the cutters in place, have any screws or cutters broke ,how would you remove a broken screw? Thanks in advance , ray

I think it would be impossible to regret a spiral cutterhead. I replaced my 20" grizzly planer with a jet spiral cutter head and OMG. There is a huge reduction in noise and, if the last pass is just a small amount, the wood looks like it was sanded with 120 grit paper. I was so pleased I changed the cutterhead on my 8" jointer.
    Philip

I have one in my 8" jointer and my 15" planer and love both of them. I had to remove all of the cutters off the 8" and clean them and the head because I wasn't getting a good cut. A couple of them broke when I took them off. I guess they wer overtorqued when they were put on. I have not had any break while in operation.

Hi Ray, having used machines with helical carbide cutters I'm glad I own a euro machine with cartridge knives. For my home shop the helical carbide aren't cost effective, and I'm not having any surface finish issues...........Rod.

Blog Entries
    Is there anyone who has regretted going to a spiral cutter head, if so why.

- Nope
    Has any one having any problems with the screws holding the cutters in place, have any screws or cutters broke ,how would you remove a broken screw?
    - Never happened to me yet; you would have to work at it to snap one but, some folks go straight for the impact and bypass the hand tools
    Thanks in advance , ray
    Your welcome
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler