Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any advice - Resawn board curling up

Any advice - Resawn board curling up

So I'm having some issues resawing some 10 & 13 inch wide ash. It is curling up in both directions. The rough lumber was 6/4. I tried resawing it 2 different ways - after jointing and planing down to about 1 1/8 inch and resawing a rough piece. My ultimate goal is to plane it down to 3/8 of inch for ship lapped back panels of a train display case that will be 36" tall. I had this same thing happen a little over a year ago with some red oak for a similar project.

I've attached pictures and was wondering if anyone could tell me what I am doing wrong.

Attachment 227592
    Attached Images Attached Images

The wood is likely higher in moisture content in the core versus the shell. Exposing the wetter interior versus the dryer exterior sets up a cupping stress.

It will be near 80 this week, up your way.

If you put these out in the yard in the morning, cupped side up, perhaps the top face will dry while the bottom face is damp.
    If you try this, I would run a pressure treated sticker down the middle, under the board and put a couple of (known) dry boards along the top edges of the "U" to encourage the desired shape.

I wish I could say my resawing looks better - but this happens with my stash, too.

jim
    wpt, ma

Let it stabilize a day or 3.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Hamsley View Post
    The wood is likely higher in moisture content in the core versus the shell. Exposing the wetter interior versus the dryer exterior sets up a cupping stress.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    If you put these out in the yard in the morning, cupped side up, perhaps the top face will dry while the bottom face is damp.
    In my experience, the concave face has less moisture than the convex face. You can see the same thing when putting a dry kitchen sponge into a puddle of water: moisture swells one face.

One other note. I think that kiln dried lumber is more likely to have a dry core (at least where I live) vs air dried lumber, which is more likely to have a wetter core relative to the outside layer.
    JR

When I see this happen I always wonder how often the issue is a result of incorrect kiln drying.

If this is kiln-dried lumber it sounds like it is not run through a conditioning cycle, at the end of the kiln run. Some kilns skip this step to save time. I resaw a couple hundred feet a month of different species. I rarely have this problem especially with oaks. Stick it and weight it for a few days if it doesn't flatten after a week or so it probably won't stay flat.

Tony
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

If it's dry wood and has acclimated to your shop, it's probably case hardening from kiln drying. If that's the case, it will not flatten out. If you force it by wetting the convex side, it will just cup again as it dries.

If you are unsure whether it has acclimated to your shop, let it sit for a few days and see what happens but I'm guessing that if you flatten it on the jointer, it will stay flat (if you have enough thickness to do that).

Hey, another Bellinghamster ^^^
    JR

You can try planing some more material off of the outside of the board in order to eliminate the case hardened material. Other than that believe it or not you can re wet the outside and when it dries this time it may dry in a less tensioned state. The outside dried while the inside was still wet. Therefore the outside dried in a stretch out state (case hardened).

James

Quote Originally Posted by J.R. Rutter View Post
    Hey, another Bellinghamster ^^^
    Yep. Celebrating the first day of spring with wind and hail. Summer's only 4 and a half months away.... if we get it this year.

Hi Jay. For starters, the movement in your resawn board is not a result of anything that you're doing wrong.

Fellow SMC'ers: There are some interesting aspects to Jay's photo that tell the story of the root cause of his problem. It is not case hardening (I'll explain why below). Most likely there was about a 2-3% difference between the core and shell moisture contents on his board before resawing, with the core being slightly higher than the shell. The lumber could have come out of the kiln at around 9%, and then the shell dried down to 6% in your shop, accounting for the difference. Or, as Tony Joyce suggests it could have come out of the kiln with a small delta between core and shell due to a lack of conditioning.

Here is why this is not caused by case hardening. If you study the photos closely, you will note that the only portion of the board that is cupped is near the pith, where the juvenile wood / cathedral grain exists. As you move a couple of inches from the pith towards the outside of the board, i.e. into the rift / quartersawn section, the board appears to be relatively flat.

If the root cause was case hardening, then the entire board would be curved in an arch across its face. Jay's board appears to be cupped in only one spot - the portion closest to the pith, so it was not case hardened.

By the same token, there was not a large difference between the core and shell MC%, because only one portion of the board appears to be cupped. Did you have the wood stored someplace other than your shop until recently? If so, that could account for the small difference between MC% on the shell versus the core, as the outside of the board would have dried down more than the core after being brought into your shop.

Wood movement is influenced not only by the orientation of the wood cells in the board (radial versus tangential), it is also influenced by the ratio of early versus latewood cells, and especially by the presence of juvenile wood (such as near the pith in the log).

If you try rewetting the board and laying it outside, only rewet the portion near the pith that is curved; otherwise your entire board may move in some unexpected directions.

To better prevent this from occurring in the future, use a pin type moisture meter to measure both the surface and core MC% before resawing. It's best to use insulated pins when measuring the core MC%, so that the readings are accurate.
    Last edited by Scott T Smith; 03-21-2012 at 7:20 AM. Reason: fix typo

On closer reading of the OP, if the boards are ripped in length to make shiplap, can the cup be minimized to the point of inevidence?

If you rip each board into ship laps more like 4" wide, would you still see the cup?

jim
    wpt, ma

Good eye, Scott! To be honest I hadn't noticed that there was pith in the board. Would this also explain the bow in the length of the two boards?

Not to change the subject too much. But when sawing on your mill for flat sawn material. How far away do you stay from the pith? Are you looking for color change? Or is there some kind of ratio in relation to the log diameter? I had asked this on the forestry forum a few years ago but no one responded except for someone who said the just make a railroad tie from every log center.

Jay,

Is the bottom board in photo two as flat (no cup) as it looks in the photo?

James

Based on my experience resawing I would say that you did nothing wrong, happens to just about every board that I resaw into two equal thickness pieces. Approach I take is to figure it in and cut the boards well in advance of when you need them. I resawed a bunch of 8/4 cherry to make bookmatched panels for a kitchen project I was doing. I resawed them, stickered them and put them in clamps for > a month. I slowly loosened up the clamps until at the end there was no pressure and the boards behaved very well after. I just chalk it up to the release of internal stress.

Having said all that - wherever there may be differences between what I say and what Scott says, believe whatever Scott says. He clearly has forgotten more than I will ever know on the topic.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
    -Bill Watterson

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
    -W. C. Fields