Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rob Lee ... Where for art thou?

Rob Lee ... Where for art thou?

I keep hearing talk of a new line of Veritas chisels; urban myth? Or is there some solid info that they are forthcoming?

If so ..... When?
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
    Ayn Rand

+1
    It feels like I have been holding off buying new chisels for a year .
    Salem
    Last edited by Salem Ganzhorn; 03-20-2012 at 10:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hamilton Jr. View Post

I keep hearing talk of a new line of Veritas chisels; urban myth? Or is there some solid info that they are forthcoming?

If so ..... When?
    Got the first set sitting on my desk, in pristine packaging - given to me yesterday afternoon. We're still waiting on more handles to build our inventory for release.

These are the O1 versions.... our first order of PM-V11 arrived about a week ago, so those will take a few more months to do. I'm on the fence about releasing the O1's without having a better grasp on cost/availability of the PM steel chisels... just so y'all will have full information to make a decision.

Chisels

Really hate to mess up the labels by opening 'em.....

Cheers -

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    I'm on the fence about releasing the O1's without having a better grasp on cost/availability of the PM steel chisels... just so y'all will have full information to make a decision.
    I know what your backup plan can be...just tell everyone they can start with the O1 and sell them on the S&S for 85% of initial tag price when they want to get the powder metal versions. Then it doesn't matter what the price of the PM chisels is vs. O1.
    Last edited by David Weaver; 03-20-2012 at 10:51 AM.

Rob, I can't seem to load that image. Talk about a tease!

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun Mahood View Post
    Rob, I can't seem to load that image. Talk about a tease!
    Hi Shaun -

The link seems to work here...

If you really want a tease, I'm headed to our Distribution Center in a few hours to select the wooden planes for the the Edmonton store sale.... I think we'll take about 1500 or so. Oh yeah, some antique saws, braces, and steel planes too....

But don't tell anyone....we haven't.

Cheers -

Rob

So Rob is that desk of yours solid wood or termite barf? - if its solid wood it sure must be tough not to try out new tools on it. If you expand the picture are there chisel and plane marks all over it? I know that when I get a new tool at the office I often get pretty temped to go to work on the fake plasticy wood that is my desk.

Blog Entries
    Those are beauties! Interesting handles. Not socketed either, another distinguishing feature vs what I think the main competition will be. I hope they will be available individually, looks like individual wrapping, as I just bought a set. I still need a few larger sizes though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Holbrook View Post
    Those are beauties! Interesting handles. Not socketed either, another distinguishing feature vs what I think the main competition will be. I hope they will be available individually as I just bought a set. I still need a few larger sizes though.
    Hi Mike -

Kinda like a Japanese Chisel - the Tapered ferrule bears directly on the shoulders of the blade.

Chris - that's my termite barf round meeting table.... my termite barf desk (30 years old) does have edges that are a tad chewed...

Cheers -

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    If you really want a tease, I'm headed to our Distribution Center in a few hours to select the wooden planes for the the Edmonton store sale.... I think we'll take about 1500 or so. Oh yeah, some antique saws, braces, and steel planes too....
    Rob, the link seems to work now for me too. Nice looking chisels!

If you want to keep your trip to Edmonton quiet, that's fine by me. My only worry is deciding which of those wonderful old tools I "need" the most. Thanks for choosing us!

Nice indeed. Any new info/pictures of the up coming mortise chisels?

Cheers,

Hoss

Rob,just out of curiosity why don't you use the "traditional" Veritas bubinga for the handles?
    P.S. where's the tenon saw?

+1 on the tenon saw. God we are a needy bunch arn't we

Rob, I really hope your inventory fills up quickly because quality chisels are the next thing on my to buy list. I'll be into serious chopping in a few more months. Hopefully my needs and the PM-V11 versions readiness will coincide.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenio Musto View Post
    Rob,just out of curiosity why don't you use the "traditional" Veritas bubinga for the handles?
    P.S. where's the tenon saw?
    Hi Eugenio -

We're trying to use more domestic woods in newer lines. Eventually, we'll be bringing more of that capability in house, which will give us more control over production, and enable a greater range of product.

Tenon saw.... we're still tuning that process... this type of molding process (and material) is very new - which means lots of trial and error cycles. My last schedule shows May... but I still haven't seen a saw yet...

Cheers -

Rob