Thread: Can I consider dovetails handcut, if I don't use a jig?

Can I consider dovetails handcut, if I don't use a jig?

In an attempt to finish a chest on chest project for each of my two boys, before they go off to college - I'm casting about for faster methods of work.
    (They're in kindergarten and second grade at the moment.)

My most recent foray with free-handing an industrial laser (that's me) hand some unintended consequences.

It's not all bad, I had planned a kitchen and basement remodel. That and we like to open windows each Spring.

Still - is there a faster way to cut dovetails by hand that doesn't involve smoke detectors?

jim
    wpt, ma
    1APR12
    Last edited by Jim Matthews; 04-01-2012 at 8:52 PM. Reason: link out of phase

To assist my handcutting of DT's, I have trained my shop beagle to do the chopping/chewing out of waste. I do the layout and saw cuts and he does the rest (and quite well). He's attempted using a saw on several occasions, but can't quite get the hang of it.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Blog Entries
    Tony,

I use a German Short Haired Pointer for the layout. And then I swtch to my shop beaver to remove the waste. My python then acts as clamps when assembling (making sure that the beaver is not in the room at the time). It is pretty efficient system, but costs a little more because of the three different storage needs.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Yikes, Jim. Looks like you got the fire out.

You could just get rid of the smoke detectors. It wouldn't be the first time someone disabled the safety features on a piece of equipment.

I just take my boards fishing with me. If the fish aren't biting, then I just chum up some sharks and let them chew on the ends. The DTs are more random that way and therefore look more hand cut.

In a few short weeks, you could hire Canadian born sharks to do the work for you...

jim
    Habs fan in exile

Blog Entries
    If I'm doing allot of drawers that are half blind, I cheat. While I don't use a jig, it's pretty close. I find a 1/2 piece of stock as wide as the drawer front and put 1/4" "fingers" in it that are about 3/4" deep. Using a 3/4" bushing and a dovetail bit, I affix the "jig" to the drawer front by laying it flat with the fingers at the edge and rout out the pins. Then, I just use the newly cut drawer as a pattern and scribe out the tails - of which I cut on the bandsaw. This method is figuring you are using 1/2" drawer sides.

If I'm only doing a few drawers - I cut them in the traditional fashion.

Just use butt joints and paint the dovetails in and then you can say they are done by hand....

Curt:

I've heard of "houndstooth" dovetails but not "sharkstooth" dovetails. You are quite the innovator!

Greg: