Thread: Bench grinder advice

Bench grinder advice

I picked up an older Jet 1/2 horse 6" bench grinder this morning to replace a really cheap piece of junk I've used in the past just to sharpen garden tools. The wheels on the Jet appear to be original and of similar grit to each other so I suspect I will be replacing at least one of them. Since my old grinder was only good for turning a blunt edge into something shiny and rough I never bothered to consider what might be possible with a decent machine equipped with good wheels. I think that time has arrived.

I'm looking for input as to what combination of grits people find the most useful and especially what manufacturers proved a good quality product. I have a Worksharp to sharpen chisels and plane blades.

I'd start with a Norton 3x in 80 grit. It will be a nice compliment to the WS. You can use the grinder for rough sharpening and regrinding, and take the WS from 150 up.

More than the wheels (most white/blue AO's) you'll need a decent rest...

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post

More than the wheels (most white/blue AO's) you'll need a decent rest...
    Seconded on the rest, I suffered with the basic type that comes with most grinders, it wasn't until I got my Veritas grinder jig that I really took off and flew with all kinds of sharpening and edge prepping tasks.

- Beachside Hank

Quote Originally Posted by HANK METZ View Post
    Seconded on the rest, I suffered with the basic type that comes with most grinders, it wasn't until I got my Veritas grinder jig that I really took off and flew with all kinds of sharpening and edge prepping tasks.

- Beachside Hank
    Good suggestion on the rest, the ones on the grinder are rather small, and right now Lee Valley has free shipping ......