Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: 3.5 hrs. Start to Finish - a review of General WTF

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Hmmmm.....I was sure the can said 5-7 minutes, 'cause that is about how long I waited!! Seemed to do quite well, actually.
    I believe it says wait 5-7 days to cure, if used as a salad bowl. I think that is what they mean. I did not read anything about buffing. Carl

Carl, my understanding is that one should wait until whatever finish is used to fully cure before buffing. So, that would mean 5-7 days. John seems to have done it without issue. But I think the proper process would be to wait. That is based on theory not experience. Johns results prove that you don't "have" to wait. But it would probably be a good practice to...
    I drink, therefore I am.

John --- Great looking piece and finish. One tip I ran across somewhere on the web, for wiping, use a ball of cotton cloth wrapped with a ladies nylon stocking, supposed to help control the flow of the finish onto the object. I don't have any nylons lying about, so haven't tried this. I used this finish on a pepper mill, and a little inkwell cover, and am pleased with it, but it is difficult to get a smooth application. I use a hair dryer to speed the drying between coats, as I work in a cool basement. Next time I'll try a base coat of shellac. I didn't find that WTF pops the grain in figured maple very well by itself.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome