Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My small low knob collection is complete.

My small low knob collection is complete.

Nothing special of course, but I now have the metal planes I really wanted, Stanleys from before WWI, the low knob version. It is a small collection, not the complete range, but adequate for me. They are not highly polished, but look really antique in good shape.

A type 6 #3 (adjuster right hand thread), type 7 #4 and #5. I forgot the type of the #6, but it also doesn't have the frog adjuster. And the #7 is the very modern type 11, complete with frog adjusting screw!

The #4 has a modern blade, all the others have the original blades. It is quite unlikely I will ever find an original blade for the #4 overhere in Europe, but it doesn't matter too much. These old Stanleys are rare down here, but there is a tool dealer in the country with a nice range of old stuff.

And the #5 is the latest, making my collection complete.

And yes, it really works (with something like a 15" camber).

Attached Images Attached Images

I like what you have there with the jack. Thick enough shavings that you can accomplish something in an afternoon.

My problem is that I have a pretty good set of metal planes now, but the more I use my wooden one, the more I think maybe I like the wooden ones better!

This is a good illustriation why I don't like the typical 8" camber. This works so much better for me.

Blog Entries
    Looks like a great set of planes Kees.

Almost all of my bench planes are of the low knob variety. There are a couple that have snuck in the door that have a ring around the base. There is also the problem of coming up with low knobs to replace the tall knobs.

My plane accumulation has a wider range of dates including type 4 to type 13. I have at least 3 type 6 planes. I am often tempted when one pops up on ebay. On my type 13 the knob was changed to a low knob. On some of the pre-type 12 the depth adjusters were changed to the larger 1-1/4" wheel.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

excuse me my ignorance, but are the low knob the so called bedrock type ?
    Best regards

Lasse Hilbrandt

The Bedrock is something different Lasse. It has a different style frog and adjuster that allows you to adjust the mouth opening without taking the whole plane apart. I usually set the frog and don't move it after that, so it is not a feature I find very useful.

The low knobs refer to the lower front knob, used until 1918. After that they used a higher knob, which we know much better over here in Europe.

BTW, I suspect the handle from my "new" #5 isn't original, but it is nice wood and looks allright. There is also something weird with the lateral adjuster, I must sort that out too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kees Heiden View Post
    BTW, I suspect the handle from my "new" #5 isn't original, but it is nice wood and looks allright. There is also something weird with the lateral adjuster, I must sort that out too.
    The tote on your #5 looks like an earlier tote. I have one similar to it on a type 6 #4-1/2. It is kind of fat at the bottom.

What is the weirdness with the lateral adjuster?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I'll compare the handle to the others.

In the lateral adjuster, the rivet is replaced with a small screw and now the blade rests on the adjuster, not the frog. Best thing is to straighten out the lever and use a real rivet again.

I find I can get a lot done with jsut a set of traditonal Stanley planes like the ones posted. So much so tht I am skipping the Lie Nielson hand tool event in Kentucky to spend Quality time with my Stnley planes.

Nice collection of planes, sir!

Regards,

Chris

That is a nice collection Kees!

I only have a #7 with the low knob. Danged if I don't like the looks of it better than the high knobbies on the others. Maybe just the "retro" look. I'm a big Stanley fan.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Nice collection Kees. All my Stanleys are of the low knob variety as well. I even added a bead to the knob because it is a nice detail. I find I prefer the tote on the earlier Stanleys as I find the fron curve more appealing. I have a type 7 4 1/2 that had that " fat" tote and It pinched my hand during use so it went on a diet and now it is good to go.

Indeed guys, those oldies certainly have a peculiar charme.

The somewhat fatter tote at the bottom interferes with the pinky. Either stretch out the pinky or I must grab a rasp one day. I am not in a hurry to "correct" anything on this plane, first I'm going to see how she performs.