Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wormy White Birch Vase

Talking Wormy White Birch Vase

I roughed this wormy wood out in Nov of last year and wanted to share how it turned out. Here is the original thread: Wormy Spalted White Birch Trunk

White Birch, 13 ˝” high x 11” at largest diameter x 3/8” thick. It was finished with a coat of Seal-a-Cell and wipe on poly. No wax is going on this one as I want to retain the surface just as it is!

Wormy Birch Vase v1.JPG Wormy Birch Vase v2.JPG Wormy Birch Vase v3.JPG Wormy Birch Vase v4.JPG
    Wormy Birch Vase v5.JPG Wormy Birch Vase v6.JPG Wormy Birch Vase v7.JPG Wormy Birch Vase v8.jpg

I included the Curly Maple hollow form in the last photo to give everyone a sense of size! Love turning these larger forms but am amazed at how much additional time it takes to hollow!!

As always, your opinions, comments and critiques are welcomed!

Thanks for looking!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Now that's nice Steve!! You've done a great job creating this larger piece. Form is right on.

A lot of wood come out of something that size. Now you will have to design a coring system for that sort of thing. Like the wood and turning.
    C&C WELCOME

Steve,
    I like it lots!! It looks like it wants to be held. I also like the that it looks primitive, perhaps Native American.

Great looking vase, Steve. That last pic is a really interesting illustration of how bad a job photos do of conveying a sense of scale.

The "other problem" with larger pieces is that they require much larger blanks!
    David DeCristoforo

Cool shape!

Does the bottom have a foot or is it just flattened so the piece will sit upright?

Rich - no foot. The tenon was turned away and the area slightly recessed. I found out a long time ago that if you leave the bottom of a form flat, it will warp and then the form no longer will sit flat on a surface.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Cool vase Steve. I remembered the first post and thanks for the final follow up. You must have had the "Monster" heated up cleaning this big girl out!

That's a big one, Steve..nice work!

10. Now you are starting to utilize the capacity of your American Beauty.........that is nice Steve. I like your rim treatment on the top and the natural look of the wood........the light color just seems to allow the wood to be itself anywhere you would want to display it.

That would make a nice umbrella stand by the front door if it had some absorbent material to soak up the rain that comes off..............

I suspect however, that you had something less utilitarian and more "artsy" in mind for this one!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Love turning these larger forms but am amazed at how much additional time it takes to hollow!!
    Just out of curiousity, what is the general timeline for hollowing one this size? Vs the smaller one? I love the form and character of that piece, Steve! Well, done!
    Steve \o/
    Dynamite With A Laser Beam LLC
    Epilog Helix 75W/Epilog Fusion Edge 80W and Jet 1642-EVS2

Steve that's big. Nice job on it. I bet you used the capture bar monster for that. I find that I can make two smaller forms as quick, if not quicker, than a large one. A lot of people tell me they don't have any place to display a large piece. I like it.
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    .... Love turning these larger forms but am amazed at how much additional time it takes to hollow!!
    I have been looking forward to seeing the finished product! Great looking vase Steve! Both you and the worms did a nice job! I'm glad you had enough fun to forget the sanding part too!

An excellent result!! So much character to that wood, Steve. The form is very comfortable to view - seems to "feel" natural. Very similar to the "Keller Original" posted by Baxter recently as a result of their turnings/wood exchange. Amazing comparison photo! Really gives one an appreciation for the size of this one!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Ginsberg View Post
    ...I also like the that it looks primitive, perhaps Native American.
    No happenstance there!! Most of the "Schlumpf Creations" find their roots in Native American pottery.

Love the shape, Steve!

Their sure is a lot more wood to find with this weather.
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf