Thread: The Awakening

The Awakening

A collaboration with Tim at Artistic Glass Studio in Edmond OK. This is a piece of Silver maple burl 10"d x 8.5"h (15" with finial) and hollowed to a 5/8" interior. Finish is Watco, buffed and Renaissance waxed. Tim is my son in law and gave me the glass as a garden ornament last Christmas. I decided to re-purpose it as a tendril of exotic plant life emerging from this form. I know the proportions are off..but I like it until Tim makes me a smaller one C&C welcome
    AWAKE-1 (Medium).jpgAWAKE-2 (Medium).jpgAWAKE-3 (Medium).jpgAWAKE-4 (Medium).jpg

Ted,
    I like it, I like it. Very original and the burl and Glass are great elements together. A very interesting piece indeed. Well done for originality and execution.
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

great piece. Love the burl texture on the top edge. Your right on using a smaller glass. The little lid is nice by it's self.
    Deane
    Originality is the art of concealing your source.
    Franklin P. Jones
    Comments & criticism on postings welcomed.

I like the form, and I like the glass, but have to agree about a smaller piece. Really some vivid colors in that glass - Tim does some nice work! I can see some possibilities for further collaboration. Dave Schweitzer (D-Way Tools) does some HFs with glass finials that are collaborative work with a glass artist. You should take a look at them.

This is another piece that's just so interesting to look at. I really like the second pic that shows the the top of the form a little better. And even before reading you description I thought of a sprouting seeding. Glass finials could open up endless possibilities for hollowforms.

Very neat effect! I see lots of possibilities for collaboration in your future!

I sure like the imagination! Colors work well! Pretty cool piece!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

A very nice creative colaboration, Ted. A bvery sweet looking burl for sure and the glass finial is really nice, a bit smaller would be better but still a great turning. Now, that's thinking outside the burl!

That's pretty cool. The glass looks like a tendril or other appendage of some creature trying to erupt from its burly egg or cocoon. Neat collaboration, I like it!
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

That is just cool Ted. I like the color of the glass with the wood.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Thanks for the kind comments. It's nice to do something different every once in a while, just to prove to yourself that your brain hasn't totally atrophied