Thread: Aaron's New Post Filter

Aaron's New Post Filter

I’ve noticed that Aaron’s New Post filter is not working on any of my computers.

Harry, it's still working on my PC but I noticed yesterday, on my iPad, that there was no drop down that allowed me to exclude forums like before.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Harry, do you have Javascript disabled? New post code hasn't changed, and seems to work on Safari w/iPhone, Safari/Chrome on iMac, Chrome on Win7. What are you running on?
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator

I noticed it too, but it is only when I am already looking at search results. If I am inside a thread, it works fine. If I am looking at 'new posts' results and want to find new posts again, the drop down does not appear.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Koehl View Post
    Harry, do you have Javascript disabled? New post code hasn't changed, and seems to work on Safari w/iPhone, Safari/Chrome on iMac, Chrome on Win7. What are you running on?
    Aaron,

I'm using Firefox 10.0.3, Windows 7 Professional. I don't know how to check Javascript. Here's my Add-on window if that's any help. Thanks for your prompt response.

Firefox Add-ons.jpg

Update: I've learned how to check the status of Javascript.

Computer #1
    Windows XP, Firefox 10.0.2, Internet Explorer 8.0

Javascript enabled in both browsers but Aaron's New Post Filter is not working in either browser.

Note: While downloading a PDF file today in Firefox from the Fine Homebuilding site I received a message that Javascript was disabled and was given the option of temporarily enabling Javascript, which I did. What is puzzling to me is that the "Enable Javascript" box had been checked when this happened.

Computer #2
    Windows 7 Professional, Firefox 10.0.3, Internet Explorer 8.0

Javascript enabled in both browsers but Aaron's New Post Filter is not working in either browser.
    Last edited by Harry Hagan; 03-12-2012 at 10:24 AM.

Harry,

It also works on IE9 under Win7. Since it doesn't seem to be broken, I guess the next question is,

Could you be more specific when you say "It doesn't work?"
    Do you see the menu? Do you see the word "New Posts"?

Do the other menus work? (Community, Quick Links)

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Hagan View Post
    Aaron,

I'm using Firefox 10.0.3, Windows 7 Professional. I don't know how to check Javascript. Here's my Add-on window if that's any help. Thanks for your prompt response.

Firefox Add-ons.jpg

Update: I've learned how to check the status of Javascript.

Computer #1
    Windows XP, Firefox 10.0.2, Internet Explorer 8.0

Note: While downloading a PDF file today in Firefox from the Fine Homebuilding site I received a message that Javascript was disabled and was given the option of temporarily enabling Javascript, which I did. What is puzzling to me is that the "Enable Javascript" box had been checked when this happened.

Computer #2
    Windows 7 Professional, Firefox 10.0.3, Internet Explorer 8.0

_Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator

I don't know if my problem is the same, but this is what i see when viewing search results: no down arrow. It is there when viewing a forum or thread, but not in search results. I don't think it was always like this. Does the same thing for my computer, firefox and IE, windows XP. also looks the same on my iphone.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Koehl View Post
    Harry,

It also works on IE9 under Win7. Since it doesn't seem to be broken, I guess the next question is,

Could you be more specific when you say "It doesn't work?"
    Do you see the menu? Do you see the word "New Posts"?

Do the other menus work? (Community, Quick Links)
    Aaron,

I might have figured out what has changed. In the past I’ve gone to “What’s New” --> “New Posts” --> “Find New Posts”. It now seems that not only is going to “What’s New” unnecessary—it makes the “New Posts” menu nonfunctional. Going to “What’s New” first might have always been unnecessary.

The other menus seem to work properly.

I consider this issue solved. Thanks for you help.

Harry