Thread: Turning out some Ash

Turning out some Ash

Finished up a completed salad bowl set. Here it is along with some of the other bowls I turned along the way. All items were turned from Ash.The first small bowls I turned were more suited for ice cream or cereal and I ended starting over and going with a wider shallower bowl. You can see some of these smaller bowls at the upper left. I also had one deeper blank and turned the taller vessel with the beaded top. Turned out well and will post some better pictures of it at a later date. The large salad bowl measures about 12" across and 5" deep. The smaller salad bowls are just under 6 1/2 inches across and 2 3/8" tall. The "cereal bowls average around 5" across. Included some detail shots. I noticed that my focus could have improved on some of the shots but I took them just before the set was picked up. I will get my field of focus take care of on my next photos. My first sale of turned items, other than pens.

Please let me know of any opinions, critiques and suggestions for the next ones.

Clint

Ash Bowls.jpgSalad Bowl Set.jpgLarge Bowl.jpgSmall Bowls.jpgSmall Bowl Detail.jpg

The wood looks nice but your workmanship really shows up; they are great.

Very good, Clint! What finish did you use on the ash?
    Tom

2 Chronicles 7:14

Great looking bowls Clint. I like the rim details. What finish did you use?
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Used Mahoney's walnut oil. Sanded to 400.

Great looking bowls Clint. Congrats on the sales!

Congratulation on the sale...That's a great looking set. They all look great.

super! I especially like the large beaded one. Great color in those bowls
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Ash can be rather bland, but I really like these! Nice form and some very nice figure in some of them.

The best bowls are the sold bowls - CONGRATULATIONS!

Beaded Rim Detail

Thanks for the comments. Wanted to add another shot of the detail of the one with the beaded rim. I was quite happy with how this one turned out.

Beaded Rim.jpg

Still looking for any suggestions on improvements.

Clint

Clint, this is a really nice salad bowl set, you have done a great job on this. Ash is one of my favorites woods to turn but sometimes it is quite plain, but your beading on this set has really given it some pop.

Dale
    The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

Very nice work on these. The foot on the last one looks like it works well with the bead work you have on the top.

Nice work on all your bowls! Really like the darker bowls - great figure!

Congrats on your sales! Your customers will be happy with these!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!