Thread: height of saw outfeed table (my router table)??

Question height of saw outfeed table (my router table)??

I work in a 90+ year old garage with uneven floors. When I built my roll around router table I sized it so that it's top would be the same height as the table saw (TS) so I could use it as an outfeed table. The problem is that if I roll the saw or router table more than about 6 inches then the two tops are not level and when I push a piece of wood through it may hit the side of the router table.

I was thinking of adding 1/2" shims between the legs of the contractor TS and the HTC roll around base to raise the height of the TS would always be above the height of the router table. This way long pieces would not bind when they hit the router table.

What do you think of this idea?

Is there any danger to letting the wood tip down onto the outfeed table after it has completely passed by the saw blade?

The best solution would be to level the floor but that will not happen due to cost.

Blog Entries
    That shouldn't be a problem.

Jesse, the only thing I would worry about is if a piece is long and heavy and is unsupported by the outfeed table it will lift up on the end going through the blade. It could create an unsafe situation if the wood is able to lift at the blade and can throw off accuracy if the wood has any warp to it and twists as it lifts. For the most part it is not an issue, you just have to watch those long heavy pieces.

What about raising your saw as you mentioned, then manufacture and mount an adjustable vertical sliding roller system on the side of your router table. One of the recent Shopsmith shows had one of these recently and the plans were said to be free. It would give you some ideas on how to make the vertical roller/support system.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....